Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks July 30
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Alw 50000s
1. #4 Dangerous Edge (8-1) – Taking the blinkers off should help this colt sit back and utilize his closing running style with Irad Ortiz in the irons
2. #8 Mister Bobby (7-5) – His last effort is one of the better showings of this group, and should be able to sit off of a relatively slow pace here
3. #3 Fed Funds (6-1) – Offers a bit more upside than the others here, and with only two starts and a win last time, this gelding deserves a play if the track is dry
Race 8 – OC 40000n2x
1. #8 Barrel of Destiny (4-1) – Comes off of three straight wins including one up on a fast pace last time out, and a similar effort will win here
2. #2 Blue Atlas (6-1) – Jose Ortiz jumped off of two others to ride this mare who will likely come from mid pack to close into the leaders
3. #3 Short Pour (9-2) – Has come in the money in all three tries at Saratoga, and will likely show some early speed stretching out in distance
Race 9 – John Morrissey Handicap
1. #1 Pat On the Back (6-1) – A softer surface may help this horse who cuts back in distance and can win here with a good stalking trip
2. #5 Bankit (3-1) – Gets a huge class drop after running against Toms d’Etat a few months ago, and despite this not being his ideal distance, this colt should still be in the mix late
3. #6 Funny Guy (5-2) – Keeps Joel Rosario and has beaten multiple runners in this group, and should be running down Amundson in the stretch
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
We’ve got Charles Town picks and preview today as the track presents its Friday card!