Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks July 30
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Alw 50000s
1. #4 Dangerous Edge (8-1) – Taking the blinkers off should help this colt sit back and utilize his closing running style with Irad Ortiz in the irons
2. #8 Mister Bobby (7-5) – His last effort is one of the better showings of this group, and should be able to sit off of a relatively slow pace here
3. #3 Fed Funds (6-1) – Offers a bit more upside than the others here, and with only two starts and a win last time, this gelding deserves a play if the track is dry
Race 8 – OC 40000n2x
1. #8 Barrel of Destiny (4-1) – Comes off of three straight wins including one up on a fast pace last time out, and a similar effort will win here
2. #2 Blue Atlas (6-1) – Jose Ortiz jumped off of two others to ride this mare who will likely come from mid pack to close into the leaders
3. #3 Short Pour (9-2) – Has come in the money in all three tries at Saratoga, and will likely show some early speed stretching out in distance
Race 9 – John Morrissey Handicap
1. #1 Pat On the Back (6-1) – A softer surface may help this horse who cuts back in distance and can win here with a good stalking trip
2. #5 Bankit (3-1) – Gets a huge class drop after running against Toms d’Etat a few months ago, and despite this not being his ideal distance, this colt should still be in the mix late
3. #6 Funny Guy (5-2) – Keeps Joel Rosario and has beaten multiple runners in this group, and should be running down Amundson in the stretch
Full-card picks and analysis for today’s Laurel program!
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
We’ve got a 9-race card today at Laurel Park!