Delaware Park picks and horses to watch: August 15
Photo by HoofprintsInc.com.
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for Saturday, August 15. The card features nine races, the finale for Arabians.
Race 5 — Allowance
- Fillies and mares three years-old and up will go 6 furlongs on the main track in a first-level allowance.
- Delaware lover #3 Pink Caddy scratches out here, which gives an even bigger shot to favored #5 Pretty Edgy (9-5). The sophomore Competitive Edge filly has won three of six overall, and we’re not inclined to judge her two-back distant third too harshly; winner Hello Beautiful is a rocket ship on best, and three of this one’s five rivals to run back ran one-two in their follow-ups… Third off the break here for #4 Willkissforkarats (6-1), who also gets blinks on; she’s run two pretty good ones since returning and can move forward here.
Race 6 — Allowance/optional claiming
- Three-year-olds and up will go 5 1/2 furlongs on the main track in a second-level allowance with an optional claiming tag of $25,000.
- We’re inclined to give a shot here to #2 Reform School (8-1), who’s run bang-up races in his last two. Two back — at 34-1 –he led inside the final furlong in the Lewis Stakes at LRL before having to settle for third, a half-length behind three-time stakes winner Newstome. Last time out he gave willing chase through fast fractions behind Charles Town one-turn king Dr. Feelgood while well clear of the rest. This 5 1/2-furlong trip might hit this one right between the eyes… Delaware lover #7 Golden Candy (3-1) — he’s never been worse than third in six tries at the track — dead-heated for the win in this condition last time out and two back was second in a race that produced four next-out winners…
Race 8 — Allowance
- Three-year-olds and up will go 6 furlongs on the main track in a first-level allowance.
- Two races back, #3 Hauntedbythemusic (12-1) was a good second at this level in a race that’s produced two next-out winners. He was 9-1 that day, and off that good effort, trainer Baltazar Galvan took him to Monmouth, where he ran into major class-dropper Share the Ride and finished up the track. Back home, he can step right back into contention today… Interestingly enough, he finished ahead of #4 Cyril’s Boy (2-1), who was 8-1 that day. If you like Cyril’s Boy here, you should probably give a long look to Hauntedbythemusic. Cyril’s Boy has run into tough company all three of his recent tries in allowance company, finishing behind the talented Dreams Untold, promising Skol Factor, and, last time, Arkaan, who was a $450,000 auction purchase… Also in that Skol Factor race was #8 Baby Boomer (3-1), who finished third that day and owns the right to improve.
- Delaware is OFF THE TURF on Saturday.
- Race 5: 50-cent Pick 3 — 4, 5 w/ 2, 7 w/ 1, 10, 11 (cost: $6.00)
- Race 8: $1 exacta box — 3, 4, 7, 8 (cost: $12.00)
LATEST IN HANDICAPPING
We’ve got a 9-race card today at Laurel Park!
John Piassek handicaps Thursday’s 8-race card at Laurel Park!
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents a 10-race Tuesday card.