Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks September 7
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – Lure Stakes
1. #5 Breaking the Rules (3-2) – Is two for two this year, plus Rosario jumps off of Devamani to ride this five year old in good form
2. #4 Ballagh Rocks (8-1) – Should be a good price and while not as classy as Devamani, can win with a more forward trip here
3. #2 Largent (5-2) – Will likely be in control of the pace here, and can win if he gets away without pressure with Luis Saez
Race 11 – Alw 50000s
1. #6 Mr. Kringle (4-1) – Ran third to Decorated Invader two back in a Grade II, so clearly has the most class here and will win with a good effort
2. #1 Mystery Bank (7-2) – Draws Jose Ortiz and should be forwardly placed here, plus has been finishing in the money routinely
3. #10 Scanno (5-1) – Tough post, but was impressive last time out, albeit in a maiden claimer, and can run well here with a repeat performance
Race 12 – Alw 74000n1x
1. #7 Proven Strategies (6-1) – A bit classier than Bray, and should have a speed advantage here looking to go wire to wire if he breaks
2. #3 Lonesome Fugitive (2-1) – Ran impressively last time out in defeat, and is the likely winner with a repeat performance and being a bit more forwardly placed
3. #5 Basquiat (8-1) – This colt by American Pharoah switches to the turf for the first time for Chad Brown, and gets Joel Rosario
Race 13 – Grade I Hopeful Stakes
1. #5 Reinvestment Risk (8-5) – Chad and Klaravich entry crushed his field in his only start, and likely has the right running style and distance preference here
2. #6 Jackie’s Warrior (7-5) – Won easily in the Saratoga Special after going wire to wire, and can win again if he gets away easy and with slower fractions
3. #3 Mutasaabeq (5-2) – Certainly a capable winner here for trainer Todd Pletcher, and may get the benefit of a stalking trip and hot fractions with a chance to take over late
Race 14 – MC 40000
1. #9 Mohjestic (4-1) – First time gelding ran well in his only start last year, and gets Jose Ortiz here for George Weaver
2. #2 Stare Decisis (7-2) – Drops from three straight open maiden tries, and despite being given up on by Chad Brown, this gelding should still improve with the class drop
3. #5 Bold Gem (8-1) – Has quietly put in a few decent efforts in his last two tries, and can certainly finish in the mix here if aggressive
We provide picks and analysis for today’s card at Parx Racing.
Full-card picks and analysis for the day’s Laurel Park card, plus our stat of the day!
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.