Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks September 2
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – OC 40000n2x
1. #5 Our Last Buck (8-5) – Extra distance shouldn’t be an issue and has been in the best form of this field so far this year
2. #4 Evaluator (6-1) – Ran a decent third last time out on the turf after a long layoff, but a return to the dirt with this gelding’s decent back-class give him a chance here
3. #1 Freaky Styley (9-2) – Closed slow last time, but with Joel Rosario and a bit more distance, this colt should be right at home in this race
Race 9 – Grade III With Anticipation Stakes
1. #1 Blame the Booze (9-2) – Ran last time on a sloppy dirt track, but the switch to turf for Wesley Ward shouldn’t be a problem for this gelding
2. #2 American Monarch (7-5) – This colt by American Pharoah won last time out, albeit with slow fractions, but will still likely be the one to beat here
3. #5 Fire at Will (7-2) – This Maker trainee didn’t finish strong last time against American Monarch, but has been training well and should see improvement in his second start
Race 10 – MC 40000
1. #8 Bricco (2-1) – This gelding has finished second in three straight, but has the right closing style in a group here that could set solid fractions
2. #9 Selfmade (4-1) – Has improved with the switch to turf, and can win here with a well-timed ride by Junior Alvarado and the right set up
3. #3 Justintimeforwine (8-1) – This three year old colt will likely be involved with the leaders, and despite consistently fading in the stretch, may be able to hold on in the money
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents a 10-race Tuesday card.
Full-card picks and analysis for the day’s Laurel Park card.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.