Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks September 3
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 3 – P.G. Johnson Stakes
1.#7 Simply Ravishing (9-2) – May benefit from being aggressive and taking control of the field and race here with Luis Saez
2. #2 Plum Ali (6-5) – Didn’t come home quickly in her debut, but still has Rosario and Clement and should be in the mix here
3. #1 Invincible Gal (8-5) – Take Con Lima on a main track, but this filly stretching out should have no problems with the extra distance or a soft turf surface if this stays on
Race 6 – New York Stallion Series Stakes
1. #7 Officer Hutchy (9-5) – Has run well in the slop and ran maybe his best effort last time out, but should be a bit better value than this price
2. #1 Holmdel Park (15-1) – Probably slightly overmatched, but can put in a good run if Carmouche sends him out early since his only career win was from the front
3. #3 Spin a Yarn (5-2) – Comes from Finger Lakes where he has not lost in four career tries, but has been showing good form with three straight bullet works
Race 8 – OC 62500n2x
1. #3 Palace Avenger (2-1) – Looks to be near the lead and has been running better than most here with four straight finishes second or better and a solid work last time out
2. #7 Miss Lily B (12-1) – Has won both her tries at this distance and may have the most speed of this field but will have others to fend off early
3. #6 Fair Regis (3-1) – Has winning issues and may not finish first, but consistently finishes in the money and puts forth good efforts
John Piassek handicaps Sunday’s 8-race card at Laurel Park!
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
Happy Maryland Million day! John Piassek has the 12-race card covered here.