Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks September 3
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 3 – P.G. Johnson Stakes
1.#7 Simply Ravishing (9-2) – May benefit from being aggressive and taking control of the field and race here with Luis Saez
2. #2 Plum Ali (6-5) – Didn’t come home quickly in her debut, but still has Rosario and Clement and should be in the mix here
3. #1 Invincible Gal (8-5) – Take Con Lima on a main track, but this filly stretching out should have no problems with the extra distance or a soft turf surface if this stays on
Race 6 – New York Stallion Series Stakes
1. #7 Officer Hutchy (9-5) – Has run well in the slop and ran maybe his best effort last time out, but should be a bit better value than this price
2. #1 Holmdel Park (15-1) – Probably slightly overmatched, but can put in a good run if Carmouche sends him out early since his only career win was from the front
3. #3 Spin a Yarn (5-2) – Comes from Finger Lakes where he has not lost in four career tries, but has been showing good form with three straight bullet works
Race 8 – OC 62500n2x
1. #3 Palace Avenger (2-1) – Looks to be near the lead and has been running better than most here with four straight finishes second or better and a solid work last time out
2. #7 Miss Lily B (12-1) – Has won both her tries at this distance and may have the most speed of this field but will have others to fend off early
3. #6 Fair Regis (3-1) – Has winning issues and may not finish first, but consistently finishes in the money and puts forth good efforts
We’ve got Charles Town picks and preview today as the track presents its Friday card!
John Piassek has coverage of today’s 9-race Pimlico card!
It’s opening day at Pimlico! John Piassek shares his thoughts here.