Timonium picks AND PONDERINGS: SEPTEMBER 1, 2023
John Piassek is here to provide Timonium picks and analysis for every day of live racing at the Maryland State Fair.
Post time: 12:25 p.m.
Late Pick 5: $0
- Laurel Park picks and ponderings: December 3, 2023We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
RACE 1: MAIDEN CLAIMING $12,500, 2-YEAR-OLDS, 4 FURLONGS
- #5 – Bigdaddysboy (4-1): This one gets the nod in a field of eight first-time starters; his workouts at Delaware have been sharp and all five of his siblings have won.
- #8 – Hector Barbossa (10-1): Sports a light but solid worktab at Laurel; dam has produced five winners to date, including a pair of Maryland Million winners.
- #3 – Gabriel Seven (7-2): Returned to the worktab at Delaware in late July after some time off and hasn’t had a bad drill since.
RACE 2: CLAIMING $16,000 (N/W2L), 3-YEAR-OLDS AND UP, FILLIES AND MARES, 6 1/2 FURLONGS
- #3 – Spencerian (2-1): One of two in here exiting the 6th race on Aug. 5; this one got the message in the last eighth and gobbled ground to get fourth with another strong speed figure.
- #6 – Sansa Ariel (6-1): Faded after pace pressure last out but looks like the clear-cut early speed here.
- #4 – Loving Cup (5-2): She made mild ground in the stretch last out and held off Spencerian for third.
RACE 3: MAIDEN CLAIMING $12,500, 3, 4, AND 5-YEAR-OLDS, 6 1/2 FURLONGS
- #6 – Run Rocky Run (9-5): Ran on well and got second with a big figure first off a 7 ½-month layoff last out.
- #2 – Prins Fire (4-5): No match for runaway winner last out but outkicked the rest for a clear second.
- #5 – Thunderhouse (6-1): Well-beaten in only two dirt starts to date but has improved on grass in his last few.
RACE 4: MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT, 2-YEAR-OLDS, FILLIES, 6 1/2 FURLONGS
- #4 – Troubled Dreams (2-1): Showed little against stakes company last out but should relish the class drop.
- #3 – Buckin’ Lucky (9-5): Raced wide on both turns here last Saturday and lost by just a head.
- #7 – Lilly Lightning (8-1): Sold for $50,000 a stone’s throw from here in May and is a half-sister to four winners.
RACE 5: CLAIMING $5,000 (CONDITIONED), 3-YEAR-OLDS AND UP, FILLIES AND MARES, 1 MILE
- #4 – Victorian Riviera (3-1): Broke poorly last out and lost all chance; a clean start today puts her in contention.
- #5 – One Las Olas (7-2): Doesn’t have much early speed to speak of but her win three starts back suggests she can sit close to the pace if need be.
- #3 – Water Witch (7-2): She’s hit the exacta in four of her last five dirt starts with a steady late rally each time.
RACE 6: MAIDEN CLAIMING $12,500, 3, 4, AND 5-YEAR-OLDS, 4 FURLONGS
- #7 – Sweet Syntax (2-1): Half-brother to 2022 Maryland-bred Horse of the Year Fille d’Esprit has gotten better with every race and gets Perez aboard for the first time.
- #2 – Hialeah Native (5-2): Goes first off the claim by Anthony Farrior and has speed from towards the rail.
- #4 – Glastonbury (5-1): Races for the first time since mid-April; had consistently solid figures before going on the sidelines and decent recent workouts.
RACE 7: CLAIMING $5,000 (N/W2L), 3-YEAR-OLDS AND UP, FILLIES AND MARES, 6 1/2 FURLONGS
- #2 – Chasing Artemis (4-1): Toss the last line going 1 1/16 miles and suddenly her form looks a lot better.
- #4 – Connecting Flight (10-1): Finished a bit flat against similar last Friday and looks for a rebound second time against winners.
- #1 – Lady Cage Fighter (15-1): Her last two dirt races weren’t that great, but she had excuses both times.
RACE 8: ALLOWANCE OPTIONAL CLAIMING (N/W1X), 3-YEAR-OLDS AND UP, 6 1/2 FURLONGS
- #1 – Cryo (5-2): Just missed second last out at Penn National and was well-beaten by Durante, who returned to win impressively at Saratoga next out.
- #5 – Street Hustle (3-1): His only bad race within his last three starts came when he stumbled badly at the start.
- #7 – Casanova Kitten (10-1): Will show speed from the outside.
RACE 9: MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT, 2-YEAR-OLDS, FILLIES, 4 FURLONGS
- #2 – A Thousand Idols (4-1): Showed speed and held on gamely first out at Presque Isle.
- #3 – Fainor’s Filets (3-1): $70,000 yearling purchase is a half-sibling to three winners, including one debut winner.
- #9 – Leslie’s Loot (8-5): Showed speed and faded in each of her three starts, now cuts back in distance and drops in class from New York maidens.