Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 19
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
Race 1 – Michael G. Walsh Novice Stakes
1. #2 Fast Car (6-1) – Won his last race here convincingly, and will be better value than Snap Decision plus has a strong jockey trainer combo
2. #1 Snap Decision (1-1) – The most consistent performer here having won his last six tries, but will face his toughest test with a solid field here
3. #4 Galway Kid (9-2) – Ran second to Snap Decision last time and has never finished further back than two lengths from the winner with two wins in four tries
Race 6 – Alw 74000n1x
1. #3 In Front (4-1) – Finally found her ideal distance last time out, and with Joel Rosario this filly can stalk the leaders and take over in the stretch
2. #7 Kitten by the Sea (4-1) – Stepped up in class off the claim last time for trainer Todd Pletcher, nearly winning at this level and keeps Jose Ortiz here
3. #1 Rivendell (9-2) – Closed into a relatively soft pace in her only start to win, and should have no problems here with the extra furlong
Race 7 – Alw 64000n1x
1. #2 Blackjack Davey (2-1) – Irad Ortiz jumps off of Big Thicket to ride this gelding who couldn’t handle the longer distance last time and should improve with the cutback here
2. #5 Quickflash (4-1) – Timing the move will be vital for this grey gelding who may not like the longer distance, but has finished in the money in all six career starts
3. #1 Golani Brigade (5-2) – Hasn’t run since breaking his maiden last year at Saratoga for Chad Brown, but is training well and has more upside than others here
Race 8 – Bolton Landing Stakes
1. #8 Amanzi Yimpilo (8-1) – Wesley Ward has had good success with this race in the past, and enters this filly who won comfortably at five furlongs in her only start
2. #6 Tobys Heart (1-1) – Has been working sharply and won her maiden in a closing effort drawing away from the others in the stretch, she will win if the pace is too fast early
3. #9 Mischievous Dream (8-1) – The only other to have run on the turf, this filly by Into Mischief beat the boys in her only start a month ago at the Spa
The fourth Kentucky Derby future wagering pool will kick off Friday, and 2yo champ Forte is the top individual choice on the morning line.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.