Delaware Park picks and horses to watch: August 19
Photo by HoofprintsInc.com.
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for Wednesday, August 19. The card features eight races.
Race 2 — Claiming
- Three-year-olds and up that have never won two races will go about 1 mile on the turf (we hope!) at the $25,000 claiming level.
- The most interesting runner here is probably #5 Daddy’s Cozy (5-2). The Scat Daddy gelding — a six-year-old with just nine starts under his belt — shows up here in a new barn, for trainer Carl Doran, and for the first time since May 2019. That day he was beaten just a nose by the hard-hitting Nakamura, who’s since been graded stakes-placed twice. In other words, if this one comes back similar to how he left, he’ll be a handful here, and he gets plenty of speed to run at, but the long layoff is an obvious concern… #1 Regal Speaker (9-5) lands in the right spot to make it two straight after coming home fast to graduate… #3 Noble Lion (6-1) got blinks on last time and kinda ran off, setting fast fractions before tiring; look for an improved effort if Pimentel can get him to settle…
Race 3 — Claiming
- Three-year-old fillies and fillies and mares four-years-old and up that have never won three races will go 6 furlongs on the main track at the $25,000 claiming level.
- Two of these are sophomores that have won three races already and only qualify because they are three-year-olds. They are #2 Steady Love (5-2) and #4 Tell Me Im Pretty (9-5). The former, the first foal out of the stakes winner Steady N Love, comes out of a race that looks pretty bad — she lost by almost 16 lengths — but note that the winner won by 14 of those; this one was two out of second and has some decent efforts on the resume… The latter is jumping up in class and has always been handled like a horse with not much quality. But she’s won three of five and might be the main speed here… #1 Empress of Fortune (8-1) arrives off a hard-fought win in a race that’s produced two next-out winners from five to run back…
Race 4 — Claiming
- Three-year-olds and up that have never won two races will go 6 furlongs on the main track at the $25,000 claiming level.
- The favorites in here are obvious horses, but one worth a look at a price is #3 Classy Solution (8-1). The Maria Cuprill trainee ran poorly last time out at PEN but may not have liked the sloppy going; it was her first time on it. Her prior try was a career-best when fourth in an allowance contest that went to Arkaan; he returned to run a good third in the Pegasus Stakes at MTH, while runner-up Cyril’s Boy won an allowance next time…
- Race 2: 50-cent Pick 3 — 1, 3, 4, 5 w/ 1, 2, 4 w/ 1, 3, 5 (cost: $18.00)
- Good luck!
LATEST IN HANDICAPPING
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
John Piassek has today’s Pimlico card covered here.
We’ve got Charles Town picks and preview today as the track presents its Friday card!