Delaware Park picks and horses to watch: August 3
Photo by HoofprintsInc.com.
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for Monday, August 3, with the finale for Arabians. The card features eight races.
Race 4 — Allowance
- Three-year-olds and up will go about five furlongs on the turf in a first-level allowance.
- Three-year-old #5 Win Ya Win (6-1) has only made two starts to date, and he’s done pretty much everything right. He’s won both of them, taking his debut by almost five in front-running fashion and overcoming a hard bump at the break to rally to a going-away win in his second race. He’ll make his first start since mid-March in this contest and his first on turf. Of course, how he’ll take to the turf is a question, but the outlook is positive: his dam, Wildcat Marie (by Wildcat Heir) was 6-for-9 sprinting on the lawn, and his sibs include G2 dirt sprinter Minit to Stardom, who set a Laurel course record sprinting on turf, and Wild About Star, a stakes winner on the grass. The price should be square.
Race 6 — Allowance/optional claiming
- Three-year-olds and up that have never won three races will go 1 mile on the main track with an optional claiming tag of $35,000.
- A couple of these worth a look: #1 Air Attack (7-2) is a half-brother to Silver Prospector, winner of the Grade 3 Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn last year. This guy had run two fantastic dirt races in a row — breaking his maiden and then winning a first allowance, both handily at MTH — before getting put in too deep (he was 59-1 when finishing last in the G3 Discovery behind a McGaughey trainee who’s 4-for-5 in his career). He makes his first start since November here.
- Trainer Jorge Duarte — recently recovered from coronavirus — sends out #3 The Right Path (5-2), who disappointed last time as the favorite at LRL. The son of Quality Road has been gelded since his last and gets blinkers on today. Duarte is 6-for-15 when adding first time blinkers, and this stakes-placed runner has certainly flashed enough talent to contend with these.
- Race 4, 50-cent Pick 3: 2, 5, 6 w/ 3, 5, 8, 9 w/ 1, 2, 3 ($18.00 cost)
- Good luck!
LATEST IN HANDICAPPING
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
We’ve got Charles Town picks and preview today as the track presents its Friday card!
Which Laurel Park jockeys are off to hot starts? Asking for a friend; no, wait, actually asking for the betting public. Answers within…