Delaware Park picks and horses to watch: August 3
Photo by HoofprintsInc.com.
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for Monday, August 3, with the finale for Arabians. The card features eight races.
Race 4 — Allowance
- Three-year-olds and up will go about five furlongs on the turf in a first-level allowance.
- Three-year-old #5 Win Ya Win (6-1) has only made two starts to date, and he’s done pretty much everything right. He’s won both of them, taking his debut by almost five in front-running fashion and overcoming a hard bump at the break to rally to a going-away win in his second race. He’ll make his first start since mid-March in this contest and his first on turf. Of course, how he’ll take to the turf is a question, but the outlook is positive: his dam, Wildcat Marie (by Wildcat Heir) was 6-for-9 sprinting on the lawn, and his sibs include G2 dirt sprinter Minit to Stardom, who set a Laurel course record sprinting on turf, and Wild About Star, a stakes winner on the grass. The price should be square.
Race 6 — Allowance/optional claiming
- Three-year-olds and up that have never won three races will go 1 mile on the main track with an optional claiming tag of $35,000.
- A couple of these worth a look: #1 Air Attack (7-2) is a half-brother to Silver Prospector, winner of the Grade 3 Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn last year. This guy had run two fantastic dirt races in a row — breaking his maiden and then winning a first allowance, both handily at MTH — before getting put in too deep (he was 59-1 when finishing last in the G3 Discovery behind a McGaughey trainee who’s 4-for-5 in his career). He makes his first start since November here.
- Trainer Jorge Duarte — recently recovered from coronavirus — sends out #3 The Right Path (5-2), who disappointed last time as the favorite at LRL. The son of Quality Road has been gelded since his last and gets blinkers on today. Duarte is 6-for-15 when adding first time blinkers, and this stakes-placed runner has certainly flashed enough talent to contend with these.
- Race 4, 50-cent Pick 3: 2, 5, 6 w/ 3, 5, 8, 9 w/ 1, 2, 3 ($18.00 cost)
- Good luck!
LATEST IN HANDICAPPING
John Piassek handicaps Thursday’s 8-race card at Laurel Park!
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents a 10-race Tuesday card.
Full-card picks and analysis for the day’s Laurel Park card.