Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks July 31
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Clm 40000
1. #10 Dynadrive (7-2) – Michael Maker has been heating up, and gets Irad Ortiz here who will help this gelding return to the turf where he is five for six in the money
2. #8 Me and Mr. C (5-1) – Drops from a Grade III and has won in his only try at this distance, but will be hoping for Bad Beat Brian and Gravitas to provide some early pace
3. #4 Blanket of Roses (9-2) – The other Maker trainee gets Jose Ortiz in the irons, and has shown a good ability to close on the turf
Race 8 – Alw 64000n1x
1. #9 Jewel of Arabia (9-5) – Very underwhelming group makes this likely favorite a top selection to battle it out with Flashpackinbarbie in the stretch
2. #8 Flashpackinbarbie (3-1) – Ran poorly in her only start at Saratoga, but otherwise has two impressive wins and will win here with a repeat of one of those performances
3. #7 Wailin Josie (10-1) – Tends to put in good efforts with a good third place finish two back, and can find her way into the money with the right mid-pack trip
Race 9 – Coronation Cup Stakes
1. #9 She’s My Type (3-1) – This jockey trainer combo has been too deadly to pass up, and should at least find a way to close into the money here
2. #4 Miss J McKay (5-1) – Keeps Jose Ortiz and may be the beneficiary of a good early pace with a plethora of runners wanting the lead
3. #3 Fly So Pretty (8-1) – Can use Shippy as a sleeper at a good price here as well, but this filly has the closing running style, returns to the turf, and is the only one to win at Saratoga