Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks July 31
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Clm 40000
1. #10 Dynadrive (7-2) – Michael Maker has been heating up, and gets Irad Ortiz here who will help this gelding return to the turf where he is five for six in the money
2. #8 Me and Mr. C (5-1) – Drops from a Grade III and has won in his only try at this distance, but will be hoping for Bad Beat Brian and Gravitas to provide some early pace
3. #4 Blanket of Roses (9-2) – The other Maker trainee gets Jose Ortiz in the irons, and has shown a good ability to close on the turf
Race 8 – Alw 64000n1x
1. #9 Jewel of Arabia (9-5) – Very underwhelming group makes this likely favorite a top selection to battle it out with Flashpackinbarbie in the stretch
2. #8 Flashpackinbarbie (3-1) – Ran poorly in her only start at Saratoga, but otherwise has two impressive wins and will win here with a repeat of one of those performances
3. #7 Wailin Josie (10-1) – Tends to put in good efforts with a good third place finish two back, and can find her way into the money with the right mid-pack trip
Race 9 – Coronation Cup Stakes
1. #9 She’s My Type (3-1) – This jockey trainer combo has been too deadly to pass up, and should at least find a way to close into the money here
2. #4 Miss J McKay (5-1) – Keeps Jose Ortiz and may be the beneficiary of a good early pace with a plethora of runners wanting the lead
3. #3 Fly So Pretty (8-1) – Can use Shippy as a sleeper at a good price here as well, but this filly has the closing running style, returns to the turf, and is the only one to win at Saratoga
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
Full-card picks and analysis for this evening’s live racing card from Charles Town Races!
Racing returns to Delaware Park May 24, and we return with Delaware Park picks and analysis for the track’s 86th racing season.