Spa selections 2019: Saratoga July 19
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – OC 62500n2x
1. #9 Pillar Mountain (5-2) – Rosario chose to ride this colt for Team Valor International, and will win here with a repeat of last race
2. #7 Lemonist (7-2) – Consistently in the money, and should be in the mix late with jockey Irad Ortiz Jr.
3. #3 Sentry (6-1) – Cape Angel might like shorter distances, and Krewe Chief can be played at a number and in exotics, but Manny Franco has good experience with this gelding
Race 8 – OC 80000n3x
1. #6 He Hate Me (10-1) – Struggles on muddy surfaces, but has a recent bullet workout and should be in good position to win here
2. #2 Engage (8-5) – Has some trouble winning and might be overbet, but still the best in this field and drops from a Grade III
3. #7 Bon Raison (5-1) – More pace in this race could give Honorable Treasure or Seven Trumpets a chance here, but this colt’s try two back is one of the best in the field
Race 9 – Grade III Lake George Stakes
1. #4 Dogtag (5-2) – Telling that Castellano took this mount over Blowout, and if Stillwater Cove provides some pace, this grey filly will win
2. #7 Blowout (2-1) – Soft fractions could allow this Brown trainee to sit off the leaders and take over in the stretch
3. #1 Regal Glory (7-2) – Almost ran down The Mackey Bullet last time, and will rely on a quicker pace, but sitting mid to back early will give her every chance as the “third” Brown entry