Spa selections 2018: Saratoga August 10
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 6 – Alw 77000n1x
1. #6 Elios Milos (5-2) – Just a little better than the field, but certainly no lock; will need some pace to close into seeing that this colt ran better from the back of the pack in his first try
2. #7 Candy Zip (10-1) – Rough start last time in the slop, but still plenty of upside and a good price if this Rivelli trainee can revert to his form two back
3. #4 Leap to Glory (8-1) – Consider Formal Start here with a good race last time, but this gelding might have shown the most speed of this field with a wire to wire victory last month
Race 7 – OC 62500n2x
1. #2 La Manta Gris (6-1) – Drops from a Grade III and deserves a play here at a solid price over this field
2. #1 Empressof the Nile (8-5) – Obvious favorite and most likely dropping from Grade II where she broke twenty four lengths back to only lose by six
3. #6 Bengala (4-1) – Could see a scenario like her last try where she controlled the pace with leading jockey Irad Ortiz Jr.
Race 9 – Tale of the Cat Stakes
1. #3 Silver Ride (5-2) – Will allow the leaders to tire while sitting off, then should make a charge in the stretch run
2. #1 My Boy Tate (6-5) – Has won his last five races, but might have an affinity for the mud and isn’t the fastest here
3. #5 Always Sunshine (3-1) – Mr. Crow gets an edge on a fast track, but this six year old horse has been solid as of late and good at this distance