Laurel: Shine Again Stakes odds and analysis
Camille Claudel. Photo by Teresa Genaro.
From a Maryland Jockey Club release
Fox Hill Farms’ Southern Girl, a winner of three of four lifetime starts including her only try at Laurel, steps up into stakes company to lead a field of nine in the $75,000 Shine Again.
Trained by Larry Jones, Southern Girl returned from a nine-month absence between races to capture a first-level allowance going six furlongs by three lengths over her elders July 24 at Laurel.
The 3-year-old Tapit filly returned to beat older horses again in a third-level allowance Aug. 17 at Delaware. She will have the services of jockey Trevor McCarthy from post 6 at 114 pounds, getting four pounds from each of her rivals.
Boheme de Lavi, Camille Claudel, Curlish Figure, Four Inch Heels, La Madrina, Likeusasafriend, Settle ‘n Speight and Theophilia are also entered.
- Camille Claudel (10-1) — Forest Boyce/Tres Abbott — One win in eight tries over a fast main track; switches off the turf; 5yo gets blinks back on
- Likeuasafriend (20-1) — Sheldon Russell/Joseph Arboritanza — Thrashed beaten claimers last out, but none of those sorts are here
- Theophilia (7-2) — Chris DeCarlo/Bill Mott — Saw two-race win streak snapped last out but has plenty of upside; random odd coincidence: last start was in a minor stake at Saratoga a month ago: the Shine Again…
- La Madrina (9-2) — Edgar Prado/Shug McGaughey — Needs a bounce-back effort here after getting crushed in G2
- Boheme de Lavi (10-1) — Feargal Lynch/Kieron Magee — Popular at the claim box (five times on the page)
- Southern Girl (6-1) — Trevor McCarthy/Larry Jones — Talented half-sister to Mucho Macho Man owns three wins in four starts; continued improvement a key
- Settle ‘n Speight — scratched
- Four Inch Heels (9-5) — Alex Cintron/John Servis — Owns two wins at the trip
- Curlish Figure (10-1) — Ashley Castrenze/Tom Proctor — Career-best effort came in one-turn mile over the strip