Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks August 19
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – Clm 50000
1. #5 Kitten With a Whip (6-1) – Six for seven in the money just this year, plus drops into claiming company after a good effort last time at Pimlico
2. #8 Triple Digit (6-1) – Her three tries on the turf have been much improved from some of her dirt efforts, and is another that might improve with a class drop
3. #3 Gambling Cat (7-2) – Her last two efforts in this company have been good enough to win here, and repeats of those races puts her in the mix
Race 9 – Union Avenue Handicap
1. #1 Sadie Lady (2-5) – Not a lock here and likely to be bad value, but no others that have been consistently as good so still most likely in this weak field
2. #6 Diva Banker (8-1) – Has shown a couple wins that weren’t directly on the lead, and with others pace dependent, this mare has a good chance if she sits in third or fourth early
3. #2 Lot of Honey (30-1) – A bit of a reach here, but her maiden win was solid, and a repeat of that effort could potentially put her in the money at a number
Race 10 – Mdn 85k
1. #1 Acushla (5-1) – Adds blinkers here which should put this filly a bit closer to the lead, but has still shown a good closing kick plus has a strong jockey trainer combo
2. #4 Marvelous Maude (3-1) – Brown trainee picked up a few lengths in the stretch in her debut, plus picks up Irad here
3. #6 La Victoria (6-1) – Vivazano might be better value and has a good try on turf, but this one switches surfaces for Pletcher and was bet to favorite in her first two tries
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.