Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 27
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Smart N Fancy Stakes
1. #7 Peaceful (5-1) – Will have to hold off others early, but should have the lead which has been valuable recently on the turf
2. #6 Introduced (3-1) – This Maryland bred ran well last time in the Caress, and can win here if she sits a bit further back early
3. #1 Rose Flower (4-1) – Shorter distance may not be ideal for this filly, but in the scenario of a crowded pace, Rosario can close here
Race 8 – Alw 74000n1x
1. #5 Creative Style (3-1) – Comes off the claim for Rob Atras, and will run best if he sits a stalking trip off of the leaders such as his winning trip three back
2. #6 Danny California (4-1) – Clearly likes the distance and put forth one of his best efforts last time out when Rosario put him on the lead, and being aggressive here gives him a good chance
3. #2 Texas Swing (7-5) – Mischief Afoot can be played after showing improvement last time, but this Pletcher trainee comes off a long layoff dropping from a Grade II and has upside
Race 9 – Alw 50000s
1. #6 Secure Connection (7-2) – Jose Ortiz rides for McGaughey here, and can win with a mid-pack trip if Saratoga Love pressures Robin Sparkles
2. #3 Robin Sparkles (6-5) – With the turf playing primarily to speeds recently, this filly is incredibly dangerous here despite stepping up from a maiden claimer victory
3. #2 Overheated (8-1) – Very tough call here with some other likely winners in Mo Me Mo My and Saratoga Love, but this mare may have found her ideal race and running style last time
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
We’ve got Charles Town picks and preview today as the track presents its Friday card!