Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 21
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 3 – Skidmore Stakes
1. #6 Golden Pal (3-5) – Seems like the best here in what will likely be a battle of Wesley Ward’s top entries to the outside
2. #5 Fauci (8-5) – Came home slow last time out but ran on a yielding surface so this colt may find more speed on a dry turf course
3. #4 Sky’s Not Falling (5-1) – Would be tough to see the others being more competitive than this first time turfer who may close into a solid pace
Race 6 – Alw 74000n1x
1. #2 Eye of a Soldier (7-2) – May get better value than this at post time, and has shown improvement plus comes off a bullet work
2. #4 Duopoly (9-2) – Getting a Klaravich and Brown entry at this price is usually a steal, but even though this filly may be a cut below the others, she may have the lead to herself
3. #6 Princesa Caroline (6-5) – The Casse entry can close into the money, but Chad Brown has been on a tear recently, so passing up his runners would be a mistake
Race 8 – Alw 64000n1x
1. #8 Noble Emotion (5-1) – First time gelding looks to be aggressive here with Luis Saez, but comes off a long layoff and needs to hold off Crack Shot early
2. #9 Crack Shot (3-1) – The other early speed here, this colt has had trouble holding onto leads, but will certainly be in the mix late as long as the pace holds up
3. #4 Freewheeler (6-5) – Another off a long layoff, but keeps Irad Ortiz and can take advantage of a pace collapse if the two outside runners go out too fast
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
John Piassek has today’s big Pimlico card covered here.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.