Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 13
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 1 – Hcp 50000
1. #1 Elucidation (9-5) – Is good at consistently finishing races, and is the only runner who has won a try this year
2. #6 New Member (5-2) – Jockey trainer combo has won twice in three tries together this meet, and despite this gelding being past his prime, can win here with a good trip
3. #4 Iranistan (7-2) – Has good class and usually finds himself in the mix but will need to improve off the layoff
Race 6 – OC 62500n2x
1. #1 Risky Mandate (6-5) – Has been training well and drops out of the Shine Again, but will need to prove her running style can adapt to this longer distance
2. #4 Foxtail (5-1) – Picks up Jose Ortiz and should be the controlling speed in this field, plus won recently here at this distance
3. #5 Off Topic (1-1) – Miss Marissa may pressure Foxtail or take the early lead, giving this classy filly who comes off a poor effort a chance to take over at the top of the stretch
Race 8 – Alw 50000s
1. #6 Bray (5-2) – Has finished in the money in all four tries, also faring well against similar company, this colt can win but could use some pace help
2. #5 Battalion (6-1) – Should be a good price on the board and put forth one of his better efforts last time out over this track, so is worth a play here
3. #1 Quiet Out East (6-1) – Draws Joel Rosario which may lead to a shorter price, but his last two starts are good enough to beat this field even with the step up in class
Race 9 – Union Avenue Handicap
1. #6 Newly Minted (7-5) – Will have to prove he can sit off of likely leaders such as Carrera Cat and Ratajkowski, but a shorter distance should help this filly come from off the pace
2. #1 Ratajkowski (6-5) – Needs to hold off early pressure, mostly from Carrera Cat who may be sent out early, but has handled state bred company and should be in the mix here
3. #3 Mrs. Orb (6-1) – Lost by a neck last time out to Ratajkowski, and may be the biggest beneficiary of a potential pace duel with her mid-pack closing style
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
The original and best Colonial Downs tip sheet returns: Nick’s Picks is back, along with picks from the legendary Derby Bill Watson.
John Piassek shares his thoughts on today’s Pimlico card here.