Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 9
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Clm 40000n2L
1. #9 Stretchthestory (6-1) – Could use some pace pressure from Summer Fortune to her outside, but drops into claiming company for the first time for Clement
2. #4 Aunt Nadine (7-2) – This filly showed improvement last time with a class drop and surface change, and will get another crack at this class here
3. #10 Summer Fortune (3-1) – Englehart won with a dirt to turfer yesterday, and will try to do the same with this trainee who draws Irad Ortiz
Race 8 – Alw 74000n1x
1. #1 Venezuelan Hug (6-1) – Gets class relief dropping from a Grade II, and should be a square price in an evenly matched field
2. #8 City Man (7-2) – Rosario and Clement also get a class drop and should improve with the added distance, but may need a bit more pace to close into here
3. #6 Forever Poe (6-1) – First time with Chad Brown as your trainer never hurts, but may be a bit too far back in a race that lacks pace with Mr Jaggers likely trying to wire
Race 9 – Alydar Stakes
1. #3 Spinoff (5-1) – Didn’t run well last time out, but keeps Irad Ortiz and should be sitting off of the two leaders who may set a very fast pace leaving this colt in perfect position late
2. #1 Endorsed (7-5) – It appears that this race is his to lose with Bodexpress and Its All Relevant likely to go at each other early, leaving this closer to run everyone down late
3. #6 Tenfold (4-1) – Hasn’t had a winning effort since the Pimlico Special last year and last won at the Spa in the Jim Dandy two summers ago, but drops out of graded company
Race 10 – MC 25000
1. #1 Imperio D (3-1) – Put forth one of his best efforts last time in a near loss, and may show the best early speed in this underwhelming group
2. #9 Pier Forty (4-1) – Puts blinkers back on and has been competitive in state bred maiden specials, plus the switch back to dirt should lead to improvement
3. #8 Brunate (5-2) – Can win here if he sits off of the leaders and hopes for a little early pressure on Imperio D to close into
John Piassek has today’s big Pimlico card covered here.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
John Piassek has today’s Pimlico card covered here.