Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 9
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Clm 40000n2L
1. #9 Stretchthestory (6-1) – Could use some pace pressure from Summer Fortune to her outside, but drops into claiming company for the first time for Clement
2. #4 Aunt Nadine (7-2) – This filly showed improvement last time with a class drop and surface change, and will get another crack at this class here
3. #10 Summer Fortune (3-1) – Englehart won with a dirt to turfer yesterday, and will try to do the same with this trainee who draws Irad Ortiz
Race 8 – Alw 74000n1x
1. #1 Venezuelan Hug (6-1) – Gets class relief dropping from a Grade II, and should be a square price in an evenly matched field
2. #8 City Man (7-2) – Rosario and Clement also get a class drop and should improve with the added distance, but may need a bit more pace to close into here
3. #6 Forever Poe (6-1) – First time with Chad Brown as your trainer never hurts, but may be a bit too far back in a race that lacks pace with Mr Jaggers likely trying to wire
Race 9 – Alydar Stakes
1. #3 Spinoff (5-1) – Didn’t run well last time out, but keeps Irad Ortiz and should be sitting off of the two leaders who may set a very fast pace leaving this colt in perfect position late
2. #1 Endorsed (7-5) – It appears that this race is his to lose with Bodexpress and Its All Relevant likely to go at each other early, leaving this closer to run everyone down late
3. #6 Tenfold (4-1) – Hasn’t had a winning effort since the Pimlico Special last year and last won at the Spa in the Jim Dandy two summers ago, but drops out of graded company
Race 10 – MC 25000
1. #1 Imperio D (3-1) – Put forth one of his best efforts last time in a near loss, and may show the best early speed in this underwhelming group
2. #9 Pier Forty (4-1) – Puts blinkers back on and has been competitive in state bred maiden specials, plus the switch back to dirt should lead to improvement
3. #8 Brunate (5-2) – Can win here if he sits off of the leaders and hopes for a little early pressure on Imperio D to close into
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
We’ve got Charles Town picks and preview today as the track presents its Friday card!