Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 5
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 1 – Handicap 50000
1. #1A Elucidation (9-5) – Only one in this field who has won a race this year, and is in better form than most others here
2. #2 New Member (5-2) – Didn’t finish his last start after a two year long layoff, but is certainly among the most talented here if he returns to form
3. #3 Iranistan (7-2) – This gelding comes off a poor effort, but is usually in the mix and should find himself in the money with a good trip
Race 3 – Alw 64000n1x
1. #6 Three Outlaws (4-1) – His last effort was one of the best of this field, and this gelding can certainly win if he shows similar early speed here
2. #4 Luna’s In Charge (5-1) – Showed good improvement upon switching to the turf for the first time two weeks ago here, and should be closing in the scenario of a faster pace
3. #7 Freewheeler (6-5) – Tough to pass up Rosario and Clement on Veterans Beach, but this colt showed promise for Pletcher last year and comes off a long layoff with Irad Ortiz in the irons
Race 4 – Summer Colony Stakes
1. #2 Bellera (9-5) – Drops out of the Delaware Handicap where she finished third behind Dunbar Road, and has won both times in the slop in case the rain continues
2. #4 Nonna Madeline (2-1) – Gets much needed added distance, and has been impressive in her last two starts finishing second after sitting off quicker early paces
3. #1 Golden Award (6-5) – Has had a troubling trend of not finishing races dating back to the Personal Ensign here last year, but has otherwise consistently been in the mix against classier
Race 9 – OC 62500n2x
1. #4 She’s Got You (6-5) – Chad Brown trainee needed a bit more distance last time in her first race in North America, and will get it here
2. #2 Traipsing (3-1) – Rosario and Clement duo will look to come from off the pace here and can win if this filly takes to the softer turf surface and gets early pace from Foxtail
3. #5 Kreesie (6-1) – Gets Jose Ortiz and should be a good price, this mare drops from stakes company and almost always finds herself in the mix
John Piassek handicaps Thursday’s 8-race card at Laurel Park!
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents a 10-race Tuesday card.
Full-card picks and analysis for the day’s Laurel Park card.