Spa selections 2019: Saratoga August 14
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 4 – Alw 80000n1x
1. #11 Bad Guy (3-1) – A relatively weak field sets up for this gelding to run down Gosilently in the stretch run with Irad Ortiz Jr.
2. #7 Gosilently (2-1) – Maybe a tad too far, but if he can control the pace with jockey Kendrick Carmouche, this Falcone trainee could wire the field
3. #12 Risky Sour (8-1) – Three solid efforts in a row and a lack of turf tries for Dublin Pub means take a play on this longshot in a race where one is likely to finish in the money
Race 7 – Bolton Landing Stakes
1. #5 Kimari (3-5) – Wesley Ward has had success running young ascot fillies in this race in the past, and with plenty of questions surrounding the others, this filly is the clear top choice
2. #1 Vast (5-1) – Mott trainees have done well with surface changes, and this filly by Lea should be no exception
3. #4 Abscond (4-1) – Closed perfectly in her maiden into a faster pace, and can do the same here with a similar pace plus adds Castellano who should time her move well
Race 10 – Alw 50000s
1. #1 A Dixie Twister (4-1) – Dylan Davis has won in both tries with this six year old mare by Hard Spun, and can win with a good break
2. #2 Morrisette (7-2) – This dark brown filly adds Luis Saez to the irons and improved last time with a class drop and change in running style to a stalking trip
3. #8 Dancingwthdaffodls (8-1) – Much like Linda’s Ballet who can’t be ignored here, this grey filly has shown good form on the turf, including a win in early June with Jose Ortiz who returns