In Focus: Wagering Charles Town’s Thanksgiving night card
Scythe. Photo by Coady Photography.
by Ted Black
Just a handful of tracks are in action on Thanksgiving day, among them Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races. The track has a 10-race card beginning at its normal 7:00 p.m. EST post time.
It also has a $44,806 carryover in its jackpot Pick 6 pool. That sequence begins with race five, and we have picks and analysis below for all six of the races.
- #2 Untethered (5-1): Has finished fourth and third in two starts since arriving at Charles Town and may have found the right spot to break through
- #8 Momentz Notiz (9-2): Owns three wins and four seconds from eight ’18 starts and 25 wins in 65 career outings and last race should be tossed
- #5 Nuke Laloosh (4-1): Sports three wins from nine starts this year and always a genuine hunch play regardless of the season
- #3 Preacher Grand (5-2): Finished third in maiden special weight won by Scottish Man who returned to capture West Virginia Futurity in stakes debut
- #1 Black Steel (7-2): Finished fourth in maiden special weight won by Scottish Man and clear main threat to top pick
- #6 What A Story (12-1): Was fifth in maiden special won by Scottish Man and could be major spoiler at 12-1 here
- #10 Affix (5-2): Has finished second twice and third twice last four and could regain winning ways in this spot
- #7 Watson (5-1): Finished seventh as 4-5 choice last out but makes debut for trainer Ernest Haynes off the claim and poses upset chance
- #2 Astro Rider (2-1): Took fifth as 7-2 third choice in allowance affair last out and will get ample support in for a tag
- #8 Prince of Windsor (9-2): Exits state-bred stakes and seeks first score since defeating allowance/optional $25,000 claimers on July 5 at 13-1
- #1 Via Leone (7-5): Captured three-turn event at 3-5 last out and looms solid choice while cutting back to two-turn distance
- #2 Allen’s Castle (7-2): Finished second to Via Leone last out and rates an upset chance in rematch
- #3 Scythe (7-2): Stakes winner two back was sharp second last out and figures to regain winning ways for owner-breeder-trainer Leslie Condon
- #6 Grand Fiber (10-1): Finished third in allowance behind Blue Plaid and Scythe last out and looms serious threat to top choice
- #9 Last Plunge (5-1): Winless in 12 starts this year but has finished second five times, including last two and outside draw enhances upset chances
- #6 Unusual Poppy (9-2): Graduated by four lengths as 9-5 choice last out and looks poised for second straight score for Ronney Brown
- #8 Fire Tigar (3-1): Has been fourth twice since maiden score and merits respect in this spot as morning line choice
- #2 Gone Camping (15-1): Endured rough trip as 3-1 shot in one-turn dash last out and could prevail here despite 15-1 morning line