In Friday’s On Tap (here), we posed several questions for the racing weekend. The answers…
- Can Virginia-breds keep it going in stakes company this weekend?
- Yes. Blueskiesnrainbows, the Edward Evans-bred son of English Channel trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, was hustled from the gate in the Grade 2 San Pasqual at Santa Anita to make the early lead and then had enough to hold his rivals off the rest of the way. Majestic Harbor loomed up outside around the turn to challenge, but Blueskiesnrainbows had more and won convincingly by nearly two lengths as the 2.10-1 favorite. On the East Coast, however, Virginia-bred Simmstown didn’t fare so well in the Grade 3 Hal’s Hope at Gulfstream. Under rider Edgard Zayas, Simmstown tracked the pace for three-quarters of a mile but had no answers in the lane and finished eighth. He was bred by Audley Farm and is trained by Marty Wolfson.
- Can Frat Man take them all the way in Laurel’s featured allowance on Saturday?
- No, but it’s not really his fault. Saturday’s racing at Laurel was canceled because the track had become so boggy.
- Can Tuftikus win in allowance race at long last?
- No, but also not her fault, either. The nine year-old was scratched.
- Can another debuting youngster open some eyes at Parx?
- No, but — and stop us if you sense a them developing — it wasn’t their fault. Racing was canceled Saturday after the second race and Sunday after the third, and as a result, none of the firsters actually raced.
- Can Access Love get a rest?Yes
- , though not entirely on purpose. Scheduled to run at Penn National on Saturday night, the 10 year-old — slated to make his 23 start since the beginning of 2013, his seventh since November 1 — got a bit of a reprieve when Saturday’s racing was canceled. He is not currently entered anywhere.
(Featured photo by Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club, of Laurel Park on Saturday morning.)[boxify cols_use =”4″ cols =”4″ position =”none” order =”none” box_spacing =”5″ padding =”3″ border_width =”1″ border_color =”blue” border_style =”solid” height =”60″ ]