- Willa on the Move S. (LRL) — She’s Ordained, trainer Tim Kreiser, owner Ronald Ulrich
- Maryland Juvenile Championship S. (LRL) — Joint Custody, trainer Jerry Robb, owner Konrad Wayson, bred in Maryland by Janet Wayson[/boxify]
News and notes from the last racing weekend of 2013…
- She’s Ordained broke through after placing in three stakes earlier this year, shooting the rail to win the Willa on the Move at Laurel Park by not quite a length over the speedy Five Star Momma. Tepid favorite Lady Sabelia, who was sent off at 3-1, loomed a big threat at the head of the lane but emptied out to be third… In the day’s other stake, Joint Custody had it pretty much his own way en route to a five-length win in the Maryland Juvenile Championship. The race was made less interesting by the morning scratch of favored It’s a Bang, which left Joint Custody in the driver’s seat under pilot Wesley Ho…
- Parx Racing. No, no — really racing. For the first time in nearly three weeks, a scheduled Parx Racing card actually took place on Saturday. For the record, the first winner of the return to the races was License to Cary, ridden by Angel Castillo, Jr. to a half-length win for trainer Patricia Farro in the $7,500 lifetime claiming event.
- Meanwhile, both Charles Town and Penn National carded their last cards of the year this weekend. At the former, 7-10 favorite Sydneys Astral Hat broke her maiden by four against state-breds to finish the year, while at the latter 9-5 second favorite Trez won a claiming event to close out the year.
- Silver Train, the Breeders’ Cup Sprint winner of 2005 who was making a name for himself as a regional sire, coliced and died this weekend (here). He had stood at Northview PA.
- One last chance to hit the Jackpot Pick 5 at Laurel on Tuesday, and, for once, it’s not a jackpot bet. The $200,000 guaranteed pool will pay out, regardless of whether there is one winner or there are multipple winners.
(Featured image, of She’s Ordained being unsaddled, by The Racing Biz.)[boxify cols_use =”4″ cols =”4″ position =”none” order =”none” box_spacing =”5″ padding =”3″ border_width =”1″ border_color =”blue” border_style =”solid” height =”60″ ]