by Bobby Zen
We asked ace handicapper Bobby Zen for his top Breeders’ Cup plays, and he came up with…
Breeders’ Cup Marathon — G2 $500,000 1 3/4 mile, Friday Race 6, Post time 1:45 p.m. PDT
- Blueskiesnrainbows 6-1 Front-runner is an every-other-race type horse with the up cycle now. Has run well in graded stakes.
- Commander 6-1 Another front-runner, last race won a G3 at Hastings, trainer is 31% off wins. Did not fare well in this race last year.
- Old Time Hockey 8-1 Has won a G2, but all wins are on turf. Trainer is 23% turf to dirt.
- Indian Jones 5-1 Been running in cheaper company, but can get the distance and ran a good second in a G2.
Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile — G1 $1,000,000 1 mile, Friday Race 8, Post time 3:05 PDT
- Verrazano 3-1 Has 6 wins and 2 clunkers in 8 races. If he runs his race, he beats these. The only recent G1 winner in the group.
- Pants On Fire 6-1 Loves the distance and won his last 2, including a G2 affair. Trainer Breen has him razor sharp right now.
- Fed Biz 6-1 Likes this track and distance, also won his last. Baffert wins 26% with repeaters and this one is very sharp now.
- Goldencents 4-1 Has had a demanding 3YO year and is coming back into condition, may get a piece.
- Private Zone 3-1 This one has had several sharp races, including 2 hard fought wins in a row. Bullet works say he remains sharp.
- Justin Phillip 4-1 Hard hitter was bumped repeatedly by PZ in last race, may go the other way this time.
- Fast Bullet 6-1 Is almost as fast as a bullet, loves this distance. Throw out last in the slop, and he wins.
- Secret Circle 4-1 Another Baffert trainee, has 6 wins and 2 places in 8 races. May be ready for this step up in class.