Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks August 18
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 1 – Grade I Jonathan Sheppard Handicap
1. #6 The Mean Queen (2-1) – Should rebound after failing to finish in the Jonathan Kiser Novice Stakes despite a large lead, and the most likely if she runs her race
2. #4 French Light (6-1) – Second to Baltimore Bucko last time out, but has been a consistent finisher and ran one of his best races here last year at this distance
3. #3 Baltimore Bucko (5-2) – Gibralfaro is safer to finish in the money, but this gelding has shown plenty of upside capped off with a grade I win earlier this meet
Race 7 – Alw 50000s
1. #5 Chloe Rose (6-1) – Has been consistent at finishing in the money and in the mix, but might need the right set up to win and can’t fall too far behind the leaders
2. #1 Bayshore Foxes (3-1) – Will probably be best suited sitting in third here, but being involved at the break in this underwhelming group could be enough to be competitive
3. #7 Before You (4-1) – Her most recent effort was slightly better than Targeted Return’s recent win, plus could be dangerous here if she gets the lead that a couple may be aiming at early
Race 8 – Clm 40000
1. #5 Seismic Wave (7-2) – This Brown trainee takes another shot at claiming company after a solid effort last time, and goes back to a distance where he has had success
2. #6 Parlor (3-1) – Much classier than others like Morocco, and dropping from stakes company coming off some solid works should put this seven year old in the mix
3. #1 Taos (9-2) – Hasn’t run in over a year, but look for this one by Tapit to go to the early lead and might be a better price here
Race 9 – Bolton Landing Stakes
1. #8 Fulminate (7-2) – Based on her only start, possesses the most speed here plus gets the aggressive Saez in the irons who will likely try to go gate to wire here
2. #5 Derrynane (5-1) – If Fulminate takes early pressure from the two Wesley Ward runners, this Clement trainee should be sitting in the right spot with Rosario to pounce here
3. #9 Chi Town Lady (8-1) – Poppy Flower could struggle if she doesn’t get the front, so take the other Wesley Ward trainee in a race where he has had plenty of success in the past
We’ve got Charles Town picks and preview today as the track presents its Friday card!
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
Which Charles Town jockeys are off to hot starts? Asking for a friend; no, wait, actually asking for the betting public. Answers within…