STRONACH 5 FEATURES BIG CARRYOVER
The popular Stronach 5 will have a $97,891.79 carryover Friday afternoon and feature an industry-low 12-percent takeout and races from Laurel Park, Santa Anita Park, Golden Gate Fields and Gulfstream Park.
The Stronach 5 begins at 3:55 ET with Laurel’s eighth race, a maiden event for 3-year-olds at seven furlongs. Portal One, trained by Hugh McMahon, is the morning-line choice and will be ridden by Ferrin Peterson. Four 3-year-olds making their debuts come from the barns of Dale Capuano, Lacey Gaudet, Rudolfo Sanchez-Solomon and Sean McDermott.
- Pimlico picks and ponderings May 9, 2021John Piassek has today’s Pimlico card covered here.
The Stronach 5 stays at Laurel for the ninth race and the second leg of the sequence. The claiming event for non-winners of two at 1 1/16 mile has a 5-2 favorite in Ego Trip.
Santa Anita’s third race, a claiming event at seven furlongs, serves as the third leg of the sequence. Tobacco Road is a tepid 3-1 favorite dropping down in class. Trainer Art Sherman sends out Awhitesportcoat first time off the claim. The third race at Golden Gate, a claiming event for non-winners of two, has a 6-5 favorite in Extractor from the barn of Jonathan Wong.
The Stronach 5 wraps up at Gulfstream with its 10th race, a wide-open maiden claimer at five furlongs on the turf. Winnipeg Wonder is 3-1 and has blinkers off for trainer Murat Sancal.
- Leg One – Laurel Park 8th Race: (12 entries, 7 furlongs) 3:55 ET, 12:5 PT
- Leg Two – Laurel Park 9th Race: (10 entries, 1 1/16 miles) 4:25 ET, 1:25 PT
- Leg Three –Santa Anita Park 3rd Race: (11 entries, 7 furlongs) 4:32 ET, 1:32 PT
- Leg Four –Golden Gate Fields 3rd Race: (8 entries, 5 ½ furlongs) 4:49 ET, 1:49 PT
- Leg Five –Gulfstream Park 10th Race: (12 entries, 5 furlongs turf) 5:13 ET, 2:13 PT