Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks September 5
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 4 – Grade II Glens Falls Stakes
1. #4 My Sister Nat (4-5) – Jose Ortiz has a knack for timing these long turf routes, and this mare has shown the ability to close at these longer distances
2. #1 Civil Union (3-1) – Distance is clearly not an issue for this mare who has won back to back races with stalking type trips and can do the same here
3. #5 Eliade (8-1) – The other Chad Brown entry, this filly takes a step up in class but should be a good price and ran a close second after stretching out to this distance last time
Race 9 – Grade II Jim Dandy Stakes
1. #7 Mystic Guide (4-1) – Should be a bit better price, and may improve here with blinkers after being positioned a bit too far back last time in the Peter Pan
2. #6 Dr Post (7-5) – Might be a bit over-bet and may not win, but can certainly find his way into the money here coming out of two Grade I races
3. #1 Happy Saver (9-5) – Jesus’ Team has been improving and is worth a play, but this colt has too much potential after an easy win last time in his second start
Race 10 – Grade II Prioress Stakes
1. #7 Center Aisle (4-1) – Rosario is one of the best at timing a stalking or mid-pack effort, and should be in the right position with this filly here
2. #5 Frank’s Rockette (5-2) – Will certainly have plenty of runners pressuring her early, but this filly has never finished worse than second and will win if she holds them off early
3. #1 Kimari (2-1) – Odd that Wesley Ward would move this successful turf runner to the dirt, but her closing style may be perfect here and can certainly win with the right set up
Race 11 – Grade I Woodward Handicap
1. #2 Tacitus (1-1) – Just seems a cut above these and despite his past winning issues will beat the others here with a repeat of his last try and should at least finish in the money
2. #5 Spinoff (3-1) – Ran one of his best races last time out and has fared well at Saratoga, plus could be another to benefit from the extra furlong added to this race this year
3. #6 Prioritize (15-1) – Global Campaign hasn’t proven he can go this far, while this gelding should like the added distance coming from the back and can upset if the others go too fast
Race 12 – Clm 40000n2L
1. #8 Life on Top (9-2) – Drops from two straight open allowance races and adds blinkers so he won’t drop too far back here
2. #9 Traffic Pattern (7-2) – Klaravich entry got too tied up in a fast pace last time, and with better positioning here from Irad Ortiz, should be in the mix late
3. #3 Kid Chocolate (8-1) – Gets Joel Rosario who should be closing on this gelding who has been putting in good efforts recently
The original and best Colonial Downs tip sheet returns: Nick’s Picks is back, along with picks from the legendary Derby Bill Watson.
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents another midweek card!
There are three stakes on this afternoon’s Colonial Downs card, including the $150,000 Buckland Stakes. Here’s the skinny.