Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 30
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – Alw 64000n1x
1.#7 Three Jokers (4-1) – Sat off the leaders last time to finish third by a head, and may find his ideal distance and race here
2. #4 Gandy Dancing (2-1) – Harris Bay may want more distance, and Inside Info has a chance to wire, but this colt ran a solid second last time out to Fort Worth
3. #6 Flying Finish (12-1) – Ran his best race on a good surface two back, and should improve here after an underwhelming performance last time out
Race 9 – Grade III Shuvee
1. #6 Nonna Madeline (4-1) – May have found her ideal distance last time out in the Summer Colony where she beat Golden Award, and can win here with a similar trip
2. #5 Golden Award (9-2) – Went out too fast last time but is the classiest of this bunch and has run well at Saratoga and this distance
3. #2 Bellera (10-1) – Could consider Lucky Move among others, but this filly by Bernardini has a chance in the pace is slow up front
Race 10 – Mdn 72k
1. #3 Modern Science (3-1) – Ran strong last time out for second, and can likely beat this field with a repeat of that performance
2. #4 Shirelle (2-1) – Chad Brown trainee by Point of Entry can’t be overlooked, and has been putting in frequent works over the Saratoga turf course
3. #8 Ready At Dawn (8-1) – This Graham Motion trainee should be good value and draws Castellano here
John Piassek shares his thoughts on today’s 8-race Pimlico card here.
Our Delaware Park Handicappers’ Notebook — featuring races and horses to watch, track bias info, jock/trainer of the week, and more – returns for 2021.
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.