Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 30
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – Alw 64000n1x
1.#7 Three Jokers (4-1) – Sat off the leaders last time to finish third by a head, and may find his ideal distance and race here
2. #4 Gandy Dancing (2-1) – Harris Bay may want more distance, and Inside Info has a chance to wire, but this colt ran a solid second last time out to Fort Worth
3. #6 Flying Finish (12-1) – Ran his best race on a good surface two back, and should improve here after an underwhelming performance last time out
Race 9 – Grade III Shuvee
1. #6 Nonna Madeline (4-1) – May have found her ideal distance last time out in the Summer Colony where she beat Golden Award, and can win here with a similar trip
2. #5 Golden Award (9-2) – Went out too fast last time but is the classiest of this bunch and has run well at Saratoga and this distance
3. #2 Bellera (10-1) – Could consider Lucky Move among others, but this filly by Bernardini has a chance in the pace is slow up front
Race 10 – Mdn 72k
1. #3 Modern Science (3-1) – Ran strong last time out for second, and can likely beat this field with a repeat of that performance
2. #4 Shirelle (2-1) – Chad Brown trainee by Point of Entry can’t be overlooked, and has been putting in frequent works over the Saratoga turf course
3. #8 Ready At Dawn (8-1) – This Graham Motion trainee should be good value and draws Castellano here
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
Happy Maryland Million day! John Piassek has the 12-race card covered here.
Some storylines to watch on Maryland Million 2020, plus our experts pick the final six stakes, including the Maryland Million Classic.