Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 23
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – OC 62500n2x
1. #1 Big Engine (5-1) – Almost always in the money, and has finished in the top two in his last four tries, plus seems to prefer this distance
2. #3 Free Enterprise (7-2) – Certainly underwhelmed last time out off a long layoff, but getting this gelding more involved early can set him up for a better result
3. #2 Lone Rock (9-2) – Steps back up into optional claiming company, but clearly enjoyed the shorter distance last time out and should be closing here
Race 8 – Grade I Diana Stakes
1. #3 Rushing Fall (3-2) – After getting shut out in yesterday’s Fourstardave, Chad Brown has this likely favorite in top form who should bet sitting off of Mean Mary early
2. #1 Call Me Love (8-1) – Has been running very well against some top entries in this race, and should find her ideal distance here with a chance for an upset score
3. #5 Sistercharlie (5-2) – Starship Jubilee and Mean Mary are in better form having not lost yet this year, this mare gets a more ideal distance and could have some pace to run into
Race 9 – MC 40000
1. #2 Ringgood (4-1) – Goes back to the turf and drops into claiming company for the first time, plus picks up Jose Ortiz here
2. #3 Allied Invasion (8-5) – This gelding put in a solid effort last time against similar class, and could improve here with a similar closing effort in his second try
3. #5 Nero’s Fiddle (6-1) – Adds blinkers which should get this gelding closer to the lead, and the added distance may be the key even if he still closes
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.