Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 22
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Alw 74000n1x
1. #4 Assiduously (4-1) – Klaravich and Brown seemingly win everything, and this colt may fly a bit under the radar but can wire this field with the right pace
2. #7 Lonesome Fugitive (8-5) – Brown’s other entry, this colt was closing impressively last time out against similar company, and will win here with a more forwardly-placed trip
3. #1 Turn of Events (4-1) – Likely to be aggressive with Luis Saez who has been on a recent tear, and can win if he sits off of Assiduously and takes over in the stretch
Race 8 – OC 62500n2x
1. #6 Its All Relevant (4-1) – Will have plenty of early pressure, but gets class relief coming out of the Alydar, and has won half of his tries on the dirt lifetime
2. #2 Growth Engine (5-2) – Has shown the ability to come from a bit off the pace which may prove beneficial in this field, and should like this distance
3. #4 Noble Thought (15-1) – Blewitt and Sea Foam are classier, but neither has shown the ability to come from off the pace, leaving this closer a chance to win if others go out too fast
Race 9 – Grade I Fourstardave Handicap
1. #5 Halladay (4-1) – With an incredibly dry turf course, Saez and Pletcher can upset the Brown entries if they are more aggressive here and go wire to wire
2. #1 Raging Bull (5-2) – Rosario takes this mount over a few other options, and should find a way to get this horse into the money at least
3. #9 Chewing Gum (20-1) – Uni should be included in exotics and has never finished out of the money at this distance, but this horse has been in good form plus will like this distance
Race 10 – Clm 40000n2L
1. #5 Battalion (3-1) – Drops from an open allowance in which he ran a close second, and has shown consistent improvement this year
2. #9 Rakeez (8-5) – Comes off a long layoff for trainer Chad Brown, but impressively won his maiden try this January, and will win with a repeat of that performance
3. #3 Catorat (6-1) – Has finished in the money in every turf try of his career, and always seems to be picking up lengths and closing in the stretch
We’ve got a 9-race card today at Laurel Park!
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
Happy DeFrancis Dash day! There’s 11 races on today’s card, including four stakes. John Piassek has the card covered here.