Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 15
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Alw 64000n1x
1. #6 Mo Ready (6-1) – Had some troubles last time out but still finished strong and keeps Jose Ortiz for Todd Pletcher
2. #11 Jack the Cat (8-1) – Gets a tough post draw, but should be a good price and has been putting in solid efforts including a good second last time out
3. #2 Sanctuary City (9-2) – Jimmy Jazz may find a way into the money and will be better value, but this colt has been running well although could use some pace to close into
Race 8 – Saratoga Derby Invitational Stakes
1. #4 Domestic Spending (6-1) – Could justify anyone winning in this race, but this Klaravich and Brown entry was closing well on Decorated Invader last time and gets added distance
2. #5 Gufo (9-2) – Velazquez rides for Clement over Pletcher’s talented but lightly raced Colonel Liam, and this colt has shown a strong closing kick
3. #2 Decorated Invader (7-5) – Is vulnerable here at this longer distance, but still the one to beat with Joel Rosario and a perfect three for three this year
Race 9 – Grade I Alabama Stakes
1. #2 Spice is Nice (3-1) – Running style suggests this filly should be sitting off of the leaders Crystal Ball and Swiss Skydiver with a chance to take over if they tire in the stretch
2. #5 Swiss Skydiver (1-1) – Clear cut favorite who gets class relief after losing against Art Collector last time out, but will have to handle Crystal Ball early and this longer distance
3. #1 Envoutante (8-1) – Has Jose Ortiz who has won the last three Alabama Stakes, and he or his brother Irad may find a way to make a closing move with their runners
Race 10 – OC 40000n2x
1. #1 Maxwell Esquire (5-2) – A Rosario and Clement entry that will likely go off as favorite and will seemingly get the perfect trip here with plenty of pace setters to run at
2. #2 Shiraz (4-1) – Has changed to more of a stalking/pace setting runner, and with two wins in his last two tries, can sit off New York’s Finest and Bustin Shout here
3. #9 Bustin Shout (6-1) – Breaks a little more consistently than New York’s Finest and will need to be sent early from a wide post, but has the ability to wire this field if he gets away early
Race 11 – MC 40000
1. #6 Michael’s Bad Boy (7-2) – Has been close in two tries this year and should at least close into the money with Manny Franco
2. #4 Bricco (5-2) – Has improved in every start and keeps Luis Saez who may try and be aggressive here with Mommie’s Jewel and others looking for an early lead
3. #3 Brickyard (15-1) – A bit of a reach, but could be overlooked and may appreciate the distance stretch after only losing by two lengths last time out
John Piassek shares his thoughts on today’s Pimlico card here.
In Spa selections, our on-site correspondent provides his Saratoga picks for key races on today’s Saratoga card!
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.