Parx Racing suspended over coronavirus concerns
Racing at Parx. Photo by Allison Janezic.
While many tracks nationally have decided to continue to run — but without fans — Parx Racing in Bensalem, PA, is taking a different route. The Philadelphia-area track has suspended racing operations for a minimum of two weeks.
That makes Parx relatively unusual. The only other tracks canceling today are, according to Equibase, Mahnoning Valley Race Course and Fairmount Park.
Due to the public health concerns posed by COVID-19, live racing at Parx will be suspended for a MINIMUM of two weeks. Training is as usual.
Other racetracks in the Mid-Atlantic have made different decisions. Charles Town Races and Penn National Race Course, both Hollywood Casino properties, continue to operate as normal. Laurel Park is racing as per normal but without fans.
The different decisions reflect in part the uncertainty surrounding what has now been declared a global pandemic that has caused thousands of deaths worldwide. Major sports, including the National Basketball Association and National Hockey League, have put their seasons on hiatus for the time being, while the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) canceled its major basketball tournament and has also canceled all of its remaining winter and spring sports championships.
Parx typically would have run Saturday, as it hosts live racing on Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday.
LATEST BUSINESS NEWS
Nominations for nine undercard stakes on Preakness day were released Thursday, with 244 total nominations.
The Jockey Club will take over production of the annual American Racing Manual, starting with the 2021 edition.
Monmouth Park will host twilight racing on Fridays and switch to a 12:15 first post for Saturdays and Sundays in the meet which begins May 28.
For an eight-day period around the Preakness, the Maryland Jockey Club will not allow Laurel-based horses to work-and-go at Pimlico.
Horsemen will be forced to vacate Laurel Park following the Preakness, horsemen learned Friday, and may not be allowed back until July.
With high winds, including gusts up to 60 miles per hour, the Maryland Jockey Club was forced to cancel its April 30 card after three races.