Horseracing Integrity Act to have subcommittee hearing
Participants at a previous hearing on horseracing.
The House Committee on Energy & Commerce subcommittee on Consumer Protection and Commerce has announced a legislative hearing titled “Legislation to Promote the Health and Safety of Racehorses” to take place at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, January 28th.
During this hearing, the committee will discuss the Horseracing Integrity Act (H.R. 1754) – bipartisan legislation introduced in March by Congressman Andy Barr (R-KY) and Congressman Paul Tonko (D-NY). Barr and Tonko have introduced a version of the Horseracing Integrity Act each Congress since 2015.
The legislation, which has the support of The Jockey Club, among other organizations, but is opposed by horsemen’s groups, has more than 225 cosponsors in the House of Representatives — more than half of the members.
The subcommittee has announced seven witnesses expected to testify:
- Dr. Kathy Anderson, a veterinarian;
- Joe De Francis, former owner of the Maryland Jockey Club and chairman of the Humane Society of the U. S.’s horseracing advisory council;
- Dennis Drazin, head of Darby Development, which operates Monmouth Park on behalf of the New Jersey horsemen;
- Marty Irby, executive director of Animal Wellness Action;
- William Lear, Jr., Vice-chairman of The Jockey Club;
- Ed Martin, President and CEO of the Association of Racing Commissioners International; and
- Chris McCarron, retired jockey.
LATEST BUSINESS NEWS
The Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority’s (HISA) anti-doping rules have been published, triggering a 14-day public comment period.
On Eclipse Awards night, Flightline once again romped home in first, taking Horse of the Year honors as the racing industry celebrated its best.
The 2023 Monmouth Park stakes schedule will include 48 races worth a combined total of nearly $8 million, headed by the Grade 1 Haskell.
OwnerView’s Thoroughbred Owner Conference will take place as a series of free virtual panels over the course of 10 months this year.
The heartwarming story of Cody’s Wish has been voted the 2022 FanDuel Racing-NTRA Moment of the Year.
Charles Town today unveiled a stakes schedule featuring the $1 million Charles Town Classic and the G3 Charles Town Oaks, with an increased purse.