[boxify cols_use =”1″ cols =”3″ position =”right” order =”none” box_spacing =”5″ padding =”3″ border_width =”1″ border_color =”blue” border_style =”solid” height =”60″ ]Weekend Stakes
We raised several questions on Friday for the weekend’s mid-Atlantic racing to answer. Answer, now, in our LookBack. To wit:
- Will anyone race this weekend?
- Yes. Laurel Park raced on Saturday, but that was the only card in the region that actually took place on Saturday or Sunday. Penn National and Charles Town canceled Saturday evening, and Parx Racing canceled both Saturday and Sunday.
- Will anyone hit the Jackpot Pick 5 at Laurel Park?
- Yes — a bunch of people. But no, the big pot remains unclaimed. Since it’s a jackpot wager, the full pot pays out only when there’s one and only one winner. That didn’t occur this weekend, and the track has decided to sweeten the pot by doubling the guaranteed payout when it does (here).
- In Laurel’s featured seventh race, a second allowance/optional claiming event, will New York-shipper D’princess, the 9-5 favorite, get the money or can the locals keep it at home?
- The locals kept the money, but that’s slightly misleading, since D’princess was one of three scratches in the race. That left Guard the Empire the 8-5 favorite, and the Jerry Robb trainee delivered a three-length victory after stalking the early pace of Hard Rock.
- In Charles Town’s eighth, a starter/optional claiming event, can 8-1 Dr. Funkenstein win for the eighth time this year?
- See the first question: Charles Town did not race on Saturday.
- Will Parx Racing get cheers or shrugs for its first race on Sunday (if it races at all)?
- Neither, because Parx didn’t race on Sunday.
[boxify cols_use =”4″ cols =”4″ position =”none” order =”none” box_spacing =”5″ padding =”3″ border_width =”1″ border_color =”blue” border_style =”solid” height =”60″ ]