- Shenandoah H. (CT) – Awesome Mama, trainer Hugh McMahon, owner WinStar Farm LLC
- West Virginia Futurity (CT) – Amherst Street, trainer Javier Contreras, owner Phyllis M. Susini LLC, bred in West Virginia by James W. Casey
In Friday’s On Tap feature, we raised several questions that the weekend’s racing figured to answer. Those answers:
- Amherst Street? Or Comeonletsplay?
- Amherst Street. Saturday’s West Virginia Futurity, the fourth meeting between these two rivals, played out in exactly the same fashion as the prior three. Amherst Street grabbed the early lead under Antonio Lopez, controlled the pace throughout, and held off the hard-trying Comeonletsplay, this time by three-quarters of a length. That ran Amherst Street’s record to five-for-five, raised his career earnings to more than $195,000, and marked the fourth time he and Comeonletsplay have run one-two.
- Second-level allowance or minor stake for Souper Knight?
- Minor stake. Trainer Mike Trombetta sent the three year-old to Aqueduct for Sunday’s Time for a Change Stakes for three year-olds going one mile on the main track. Sent off at 18-1, the longest shot on the board, Souper Knight was never much involved and finished sixth of six, though beaten less than five lengths.
- Can Hymn Note — first but disqualified in the Potomac at Charles Town and more recently second by a nose in the Municipalities Mayors — get the money this time in the Shenandoah?
- No, but… She was scratched by the veterinarian and did not race. Awesome Mama benefited most from the scratch, and, bet down to odds-on, wore down Missy Rules to win by less than a length. Lenape Rim finished third.
- Will anyone take down the Jackpot Pick 5 at Laurel Park?
- No. In fact, Saturday’s Pick 5 paid out to those who had four of five winners after the sequence included 32-1 Love Abounds and 12-1 High Wire Act. The carryover into Wednesday’s racing is $44,670.
(Featured image, of Amherst Street, by Coady Photography.)[boxify cols_use =”5″ cols =”5″ position =”left” order =”none” box_spacing =”5″ padding =”5″ border_width =”2″ border_color =”blue” border_style =”solid” height =”60″]