Racehorse aftercare forum sets agenda
The International Forum for the Aftercare of Racehorses (IFAR) announced today its lineup of speakers for its sixth conference, which will be held as a series of two virtual webinars on 5 and 19 April at 12 p.m. BST (11 a.m. GMT). Each webinar will last approximately two hours. IFAR is partnering with the Japan Racing Association (Japanese Consultative Committee on Aftercare of Racehorses) to put on this year’s event.
The conference theme of “Many paths – One goal” is reflected in the speakers and organizations represented in both sessions. The keynote address will be given by Annamarie Phelps, chair of the British Horseracing Authority. She will provide unique insights regarding the contemporary challenges facing racing and how aftercare has become a critical element for racing’s future sustainability.
- Jonathan Thomas hoping for Delight-ful SelimaTrainer Jonathan Thomas is scheduled to send out a pair in Saturday’s Selima Stakes at Laurel Park, including morning line favorite Delight.
The lineup of speakers features experts addressing key topics including equine traceability, equine therapy, and veterinary science. A key highlight will include a Young Professionals Panel, where Australian racing presenter Caroline Searcy will explore the attitudes and views of emerging industry leaders regarding current and future aftercare strategies.
“We are delighted with the group of speakers we have compiled for this year’s IFAR conference,” said Di Arbuthnot, chair of IFAR. “Between the formal presentations and allocated time for Q&A with our audience, the two sessions are sure to spark engaging conversations about Thoroughbred aftercare.”
The full programme can be found below:
5 April, 2022
Moderator: Rishi Persad (U.K.)
- Annamarie Phelps (U.K.) (Keynote): Chair, British Horseracing Authority
- Di Arbuthnot: Chair, IFAR
- Dr. Jeff Berk (U.S.): Equine Medical Associates PSC; Past President, American Association of Equine Practitioners
- Dr. Meredith Flash (AUS): Lead Researcher, Australian Thoroughbred Wellbeing Project
- Jock Hutchison (U.K.): President and Co-Founder, Horseback UK
- Angela Schuster (AUS): Managing Director, Schuster Consulting Group
19 April, 2022
Moderator: Caroline Searcy (AUS)
- Michael Drapac (AUS): Owner/Breeder
- Dr. Adrian Farrington (H.K.): Executive Manager, Veterinary Clinical Services, Hong Kong Jockey Club
- Kirsten Green (U.S.): Executive Director, Retired Racehorse Project
- Jennifer Hughes (AUS): General Manager, Equine Welfare, Racing Victoria
- Young Professionals Panel
- George Broughton (U.K.): Trainee, Godolphin Flying Start
- Harry Derham (U.K.): Assistant Trainer
- Caoimhe Doherty (IRE): Co-founder, Treo Eile; Stud Manager, Forenaghts Stud
- Natasha Rose (H.K.): Equestrian Affairs Project Manager / Retired Racehorse Unit Manager, Hong Kong Jockey Club
- Elinor Wolf (U.S.): Trainee, Godolphin Flying Start
Both sessions are free, but registration is required. For more information about the conference agenda and to register, please visit internationalracehorseaftercare.com/virtual-ifar/. Recordings of each session will be made available on the IFAR website.
- Jonathan Thomas hoping for Delight-ful Selima
- Charles Town picks and horses to watch: September 30
- Delaware Park picks and horses to watch: September 30
- Roan Burgundy may be among new turfers in Laurel Futurity
- Laurel Park picks and ponderings: September 30, 2022
- Whereshetoldmetogo, Intrepid Daydream highlight DelPark stakes