Video: WVBC Moscarelli Memorial winner Hypothesis
Hypothesis. Photo by Coady Photography.
When West Virginia-bred Hypothesis ran in the $100,000 Rosie’s Stakes August 31 at Colonial Downs, no one knew how good that race would turn out to be.
Hypothesis finished a decent fourth in the 5 1/2-furlong contest, beaten about six lengths, with winner Four Wheel Drive zipping the distance in a course-record 1:00.84. But it’s what came next that confirmed how strong the race had been.
- Four Wheel Drive returned to win the Grade 3 Futurity at Belmont Park and followed that up this past weekend with a score in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf Sprint;
- So Street, the second-place finisher, came back to win the Howard County Stakes at Laurel Park; and
- Torres del Paine, the show horse, was then the runner-up in the Laurel Futurity.
And what about Hypothesis?
- Trainer Crystal Pickett
- Owner Jill Daniel
- Breeder Francis Daniel, III
- Bred in West Virginia
- By Algorithms-Ideal Thoughts, by Not for Love
- Record 4:3-0-0, earnings of $86,025
- In Sum Hypothesis won at first asking by rallying from the back of the pack to win a 4 1/2-furlong maiden special weight at Charles Town July 26 before trying the turf at Colonial Downs… He also won the Henry Mercer Memorial Stakes at Charles Town before scoring in the Moscarelli, in which he was much closer to the early running before drawing away to win by four lengths… The Moscarelli was his first try around two turns, and he had to overcome early trip trouble to do it… Rider Gerald Almodovar has been in the irons in all four of Hypothesis’ starts… Pickett also trained Hypothesis’ dam, Ideal Thoughts, who earned over $215,000, won seven times, and placed in two stakes in her career… Algorithms stands at Claiborne Farm in Kentucky; his best offspring include G1 Pennsylvania Derby winner Math Wizard and speedy sprinter Recruiting Ready…
LATEST WEST VIRGINIA NEWS
Charles Town Races has received the go-ahead to host 60 days of live racing through April 2020, with the Charles Town Classic tentatively set for April 18.
B’s Wild Cork won her second straight stake Saturday at Charles Town, rallying from the rear to take the My Sister Pearl Stakes.
B’s Wild Cork upset the WVBC Roger Ramey Distaff last month – at odds of 8-1 – and is favored to back that up in Saturday’s My Sister Pearl Stakes.
The West Virginia Racing Commission announced it willhire an equine medical director, establish a medical review board, and take other equine-safety steps.
The first time around three turns was no problem for Penguin Power, who led throughout to win the 9-furlong A Huevo Stakes at Charles Town Races.
The top five from the West Virginia Breeders’ Classic all return — but Onion Juice winner Penguin Power is favored in the A Huevo Stakes Saturday.