Delaware Park 2018 horses to watch: September 5
by Frank Vespe
Delaware Park has an eight-race card on tap for Wednesday, September 5. Post time for the card is 1:15 p.m., and you can enter our free handicapping contest here. Some horses to watch:
Race 6 – Allowance/optional claiming
- Three-year-olds and up will that have never won three races, or with an optional claiming tag of $15,000, will go six furlongs on the main track.
- #4 Clouded Judgement (6-1) ran a big one when third back in May in the Chick Lang Stakes at Pimlico; winner Mitole, who has not run since, looked to be a star in the making at the time, and runner-up Still Having Fun came back to win the Grade 2 Woody Stephens in his next start. This Lacey Gaudet trainee took a different route, running in a pair of turf stakes with indifferent results. He’ll get back to the main track here with Rosario Montanez, who rode him to one of his two victories, in the irons.
- Back at the beginning of the Delaware meet, #6 My Boy Lenny (8-1) seemed poised to become one of the meet’s stars after winning an allowance test easily in 1:09 and change for six furlongs. That hasn’t panned out yet, however; the Gerald Bennett trainee ran fourth in his follow-up, though that race did produce two next-out winners, and then a try on the synthetic at Presque Isle Downs netted only a fifth-place finish. He’ll be back on the dirt here with Angel Suarez set to ride a horse who looks to be the controlling speed.
- Selections: 6-3-5-4
Race 7 – Allowance/optional claiming
- Fillies and mares three and up will go 1 1/8 miles on the turf in a first-level allowance with an optional claiming tag of $16,000.
- #2 Golden Attitude (5-1) will make her first start since May 2017 — and first start in the United States — in this tilt. The four-year-old filly by Redoute’s Choice was beaten a head in consecutive allowance races in France before her lengthy break. She’s made just five career starts. Here she switches into the Arnaud Delacour barn — he’s 31 percent at the meet — and will receive Lasix for the first time. Trevor McCarthy will ride, and while getting nine furlongs after a 15-month break may be a tough ask, this one has been facing better company than these; in her April 2, 2017 race, when beaten two lengths, the winner was Sistercharlie, who has won three Grade 1 events in the US this year.
- Selections: 2-6-7-9
Arabian handicapping is provided by our friends at Arabian Finish Line.
No Arabian race today.