Wide open Lassie draws 11
Lexington Street won the 2015 Maryland Million Lassie. Photo by The Racing Biz.
From a Maryland Jockey Club release
Joan Everett homebred She’s Achance Too, narrowly beaten in her unveiling Sept. 25 at Laurel, makes her stakes debut as part of a full field in the $100,000 Maryland Million Lassie, run at six furlongs on the main track.
A bay Redeemed filly, She’s Achance Too was pressed all the way on the lead into the stretch in her only previous start before giving way late and finishing third by a length. Natural Notion, who also returns in the Lassie, beat her by a nose for second.
“She drew the rail first time out and it was kind of a let’s see how she breaks and go from there. She’s always been very forward in her training,” trainer Jason Egan said. “Now she’s gone the opposite way and drawn outside, so we’ll have a chance to see how things are going. She’s developed well and I think she learned a lot from her first race so we’re hopeful for another good run.”
Country Life Farm’s Friesani will also be making her stakes debut in her second start for trainer Mike Trombetta. She got off slowly and was stuck on a dull inside path going six furlongs Oct. 3 at Parx and wound up fourth. She sheds eight pounds from that race and will carry co-lowweight of 114 in the Lassie.
“She’s good. We got a race under her at Parx to give her some experience,” Trombetta said. “She’s adding blinkers. She’s worked good since that first race, so we’re going to take a shot.”
Favored at 5-2 on the morning line is The Elkstone Group’s Diamond Dollar, a 2-year-old Not For Love filly making her first start away from Presque Isle Downs’ all-weather surface. She won the Mark McDermott Stakes Sept. 4 and most recently was third in the Mrs. Henry D. Paxson Memorial Sept. 18.
Rounding out the field are recent maiden winners Baltimore Miss, Big Blue Arrow, Item and Sommer Something along with Faze the Nation, Friesan Gal and Small Batch. On the also-eligible list are Maryland-breds Phantom Shot, Misty On Pointe and Lucky in Malibu.
[su_box title=”MARYLAND MILLION LASSIE ENTRIES” style=”glass”]
- Friesan Gal (20-1) — Horacio Karamanos/Robin Graham
- Item (8-1) — Tyler Conner/Rafael Madrigal, Sr.
- Faze the Nation (20-1) — Luis Garcia/Phil Schoenthal
- Natural Notion (6-1) — Guillermo Rodriguez/Christopher Kolb
- Big Blue Arrow (9-2) — Feargal Lynch/Darrin Miller
- Baltimore Miss (12-1) — NA/Arnaud Delacour
- Friesani (12-1) — Steve Hamilton/Mike Trombetta
- Diamond Dollar (5-2) — Daniel Centeno/Ron Potts
- Sommer Something (6-1) — Trevor McCarthy/Kevin Boniface
- She’s Achance Too (8-1) — Jevian Toledo/Jason Egan
- Small Batch (15-1) — Yomar Ortiz/Linda Albert
- (ae) Phantom Shot (9-2) — NA/Donald Barr
- (ae) Misty On Pointe (3-1) — NA/Horacio De Paz
- (ae) Lucky in Malibu (4-1) — NA/Gary Capuano