Gabby Gaudet’s got some thoughts on late Pick 4 play.
Laurel Park has minor carryovers in the Rainbow Pick 6 and the Super Hi 5, but Maryland racing analyst Gabby Gaudet goes in a different direction.
She shares her thoughts on the late Pick 4. The sequence includes a lifetime claimer on the turf, a dirt open claiming race, another lifetime claimer for turf sprinters, and an open claiming race on the turf.[su_box title=”GABBY’S PICK 4 PLAY” style=”glass”]
- Race 5 1, 5, 8
- Race 6 6, 7, 9
- Race 7 1, 5, 9
- Race 8 2, 7
- Ticket cost (0.50 unit) $27.00
GABBY’S RACING NOTES[su_list icon=”icon: check”].
- Race 5 — While I’ve covered three in here, the one I really like is #8 Olympic Medallist (4-1). The Donald Barr trainee was off 18 months prior to her return to action in May, and her last race, her third back, was her best since returning. Though fourth, she was beaten just 1 1/4 lengths after having a really hard time finding running room and having to steady at the eighth pole. Drawn outside today, she may be able to get a cleaner trip.
- Race 6 — I took three in this evenly matched group of $7,500 claiming horses. #6 Broad Rule (6-1) is a multiple stake winner — he happens to have been the great Dickie Small’s last stake winner — who enters off a win (from which he was DQed because he was ineligible to be entered in the race) and has plenty of back class to compete here. Trainer Kieron Magee hits at a 37 percent first-off-the-claim rate with a huge flat bet profit — and those facts make #7 Reggie D (7-2) a horse worth a look, though he figures to need some help from the pace. The last time #9 Space Race (10-1) ran at the $7,500 level — three back — he won by five.
- Race 7 — A return to the form she showed in her last turf sprint — in May, when fourth a length behind the talented Hooligan and next-out winner Billyscrystalball — would make #9 Bonnie K (5-2) the winner here. The daughter of Majestic Warrior’s next try was taken off the turf and most recently she emptied out late while going a mile.
- Race 8 — Eight horses that faced each other on July 17 will do so again in here, and I’m looking for a little different outcome. #7 Saintly Feelings (8-5) was along too late to catch Devilish Gait last out, but I’d give him a good shot to turn the tables here… A horse I like at a price is #2 C V Outlaw (15-1). The Ollie Figgins-trained son of Outflanker lost a photo for show in that July 17 race after having to alter course in the lane. In his second off a six-week break and third of 2015, he can improve here.