Though it felt like anything but spring when the magazine went to press, April’s edition of Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred is out and about and online with the changing of the calendar to the year’s fourth month.
The magazine is full of news, features, photos, bits and pieces, including a cover photo that reflects the season at Country Life Farm in Maryland.
- A feature on Jockey Club chief Jim Gagliano and his ties to the Mid-Atlantic region, including a first job in the mail room at Monmouth Park.
- An update on the positive steroid tests, and their fallout, in Maryland.
- Eight pages of 2014 sales statistics, headed by a profile of super broodmare Mushka.
- Exclusive recaps from major races at Laurel Park – Lady Sabelia’s romp in the Grade 2 Barbara Fritchie and Misconnect’s hard-charging defeat of local Savvy Street in the Grade 3 General George, plus a look at the unlikey story of Page McKenney.
- Up front, the magazine begins with quips and quotes, a two-page photo of Fair Hill’s crotchety senior citizens Better Talk Now and Gala Spinaway and an interview Bob Manfuso on what it might be like to breed a Kentucky Derby starter.