Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks September 2
In Spa Selections, Saratoga correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Follow along all meet with all the exciting action (and good betting opportunities)!
- Delaware Park picks and horses to watch: October 7We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
Race 7 – Claiming 35000n2L
1. #5 Topic Changer (4-1) – This colt by Flintshire has the connections of Rosario and Clement dropping from an allowance into claiming so should be a good play here
2. #3 Fieldstone (3-1) – Ran a solid third last time dropping into this company, with some good speed figures that put him in the mix with this field
3. #4 Super Wicked Charm (20-1) – Outside of a few dirt efforts, this gelding has been close in a lot of his recent races, and even if he nearly never wins, could be a good exotics play
4. #6 Bless Bless (5-1) – This Maker trainee needs to break better than he did last time, but could be a factor if he is able to be forwardly placed with the normally aggressive Carmouche
Race 8 – Lucky Coin Stakes
1. #5 Thin White Duke (5-1) – Going to keep picking this gelding until he finally breaks through, but a close third last time to Golden Pal might signal that he is near a trip to the winner’s circle
2. #2 The Critical Way (4-1) – This eight year old gelding might be able to take advantage of a drying turf course that could play to speed which gives him the advantage if he breaks well
3. #1 Big Package (7-2) – This gelding by Big Brown has run his best at Saratoga with all four previous tries at this distance, but might need to be a bit closer to the lead than usual
4. #6 Voodoo Zip (5-2) – Rosario leaves an improving Dancing Buck to ride this horse for Clement, and even if he should be closing late, this might not be his best distance
Race 9 – Grade II Prioress Stakes
1. #3 Lady Scarlet (12-1) – A winner of a grade III two back, this filly comes off the bench after a turf try here in early July, and might sit a good trip in third or fourth with a chance to win
2. #6 Angitude (4-1) – Rosario will likely try to have this filly rate in a field where there may be some pace, and she does seem better suited going shorter than the eight furlongs last time
3. #2 Hot Peppers (7-2) – The likely favorite who ran well in the Grade I Test and just ran out of gas late, she should have the lead at six furlongs and will win if she doesn’t get pressed
4. #9 Smash Ticket (4-1) – Ran a sharp speed figure last time, and could be a threat here if she breaks well and gets to the lead with Hot Peppers
Race 10 – Maiden 88k
1. #8 Curlin’s Wisdom (7-2) – Eight furlongs should be about his limit, and he has run well in both turf tries so could be in the mix here with a stalking trip by Lezcano
2. #6 Conquist (3-1) – Had good control of the pace last time out, and could do the same here plus gets a better post draw than last time
3. #9 Dreampoint (4-1) – This deep closer might need a bit more pace to win, but has been a consistent finisher recently and should be there late
4. #2 Excursionniste (8-1) – Maybe a slight step below some others here, but finished second by disqualification last time with one of his better races at Saratoga, so good value in this spot