Spa selections 2022: Saratoga picks August 7
In Spa Selections, Saratoga correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Follow along all meet with all the exciting action (and good betting opportunities)!
- ARCI urges delay in new HISA rules implementationCiting a court ruling that the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act (HISA) is unconstitutional, ARCI has called for a delay in rules set for Jan. 1.
Race 4 – Grade III Adirondack Stakes
1. #2 Naughty Gal (8-5) – Looked dominant last time out in her second start, and appears to be a step ahead of these two year olds at the moment
2. #3 Promise of Hope (4-1) – Won easily in her debut, and might have another step up in improvement that could make her an interesting win play here
3. #1 Apple Picker (5-1) – This filly by Connect cruised to an easy wire to wire win first time out, and could stay aggressive here but will likely face tougher fractions
4. #4 Sabra Tough (7-2) – Didn’t break well last time, but can be more of a factor with a better break and showed the ability to pass horses in defeat last time
Race 7 – Grade III Saratoga Oaks Invitational Stakes
1. #2 McKulick (8-5) – The best of the Chad Brown trainees in this field, this filly by Frankel wins here with a clean mid-pack trip
2. #5 Contemporary Art (6-1) – Improved second time out with a bit more distance, so should like going longer and won pretty easily sitting off a slower pace
3. #3 With The Moonlight (5-2) – Got passed by McKulick in the Grade I Belmont Oaks Invitational, but did some of the dirty work there and is a good play to finish well here
4. #6 Oakhurst (10-1) – Joel Rosario has been too good to pass up, and will certainly have this closer moving late, distance shouldn’t be a problem, but still a step up in class here
Race 8 – Alw 115000n1x
1. #5 Colorful Mischief (5-2) – Gaffalione and Pletcher have had a good winning percentage together this year, and can win as long as this one starts in third or fourth early
2. #4 Empire Hope (3-1) – A good win in her debut, this filly by Empire Maker may end up preferring to go two turns, but is a good play if the pace is a bit quicker
3. #1 Wicked Hot (9-2) – Doesn’t seem like one that is a huge winning threat, but has good consistency and should be a bit better value than this
4. #6 Minute Waltz (6-1) – Ten for fourteen in the money, but with just one win this looks like one to use in exotics
Race 9 – Fasig-Tipton De La Rose Stakes
1. #6 Our Flash Drive (9-2) – Comes out of a Grade II where she was up on a faster pace, and could be a bigger threat if the pace is a bit softer this time around
2. #5 Jouster (5-2) – Last year, this one exclusively started with the lead, now adjusting to a stalking approach which gives her some versatility as others tend to rate here
3. #1 Love and Thunder (3-1) – Made a pretty big move from last by ten lengths to only lose by a length last time at this distance, and has real winning chances as long as she is a bit closer
4. #4 Plum Ali (6-1) – Maybe appears to be a slight step below some others right now, but certainly has the class to compete and hits the board at a fifty percent clip