Top Midlantic-bred Poll: Luna Belle, Just One Time still tops
In the latest edition of the Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred/The Racing Biz Top Midlantic-bred Poll, three-year-old Luna Belle and four-year-old Just One Time held their positions atop the top three-year-old and older horse lists, respectively.
But the horses behind them? Well, there’s been some shakeup there, with several horses who were either among those also receiving votes or were not even there now in the top five.
TOP 3yo MIDLANTIC-BREDS
- Luna Belle (MD), 3F by Great Notion-Heavenly Moon, by Mojave Moon; bred by Fred Greene Jr., Deborah Greene and Hamilton Smith and trained by Hamilton Smith for Deborah Greene and Hamilton Smith. 2022 highlights: Won Xtra Heat S., Wide Country S., Beyond the Wire S., Weber City Miss S. Previous poll: 1
- Joe (MD), 3C by Declaration of War-Battle Bridge, by Arch; bred by The Elkstone Group LLC and trained by Michael Trombetta for The Elkstone Group LLC. 2022 highlights: Won Federico Tesio S., James Murphy S. Previous poll: 2
- Divine Huntress (MD), 3F by Divining Rod-Thrill Seeker, by Housebuster; bred by Dr. & Mrs. Thomas Bowman, Ricky Buckley, and Joshua Dreiband and trained by Graham Motion for Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners and Long Valley Stables LLC. 2022 highlights: 2nd G1 Acorn S. Previous poll: NA
- Mama G’s Wish (MD), 3F by Outflanker-Gracie’s Hero, by Great Notion; bred by No Guts No Glory Farm and trained by John Robb for No Guts No Glory Farm. 2022 highlights: Won Lewes S. Previous poll: NA
- Determined Kingdom (VA), 3G by Animal Kingdom-Filia, by Fastnet Rock; bred by Audley Farm Equine LLC and trained by Phil Schoenthal for D Hatman Thoroughbreds and Kingdom Bloodstock Inc.. 2022 highlights: Won Punch Line S. Previous poll: NA
- Morning Matcha (PA), 3F by Central Banker-Home Ice, by Iam the Iceman; bred by Crane Thoroughbred Services LLC and trained by Robert Reid Jr. for LC Racing, Cash Is King LLC and Gary Barber. 2022 highlights: Won Main Line S. Previous poll: 3
Note: Mama G’s Wish, Determined Kingdom, and Morning Matcha tied for fourth.
Also receiving votes: Witty, Local Motive, Green Up, Bazinga C, Nimitz Class, Silky Serena, Mr Jefferson
Note: All horses listed at their 2022 ages.
NOTES Neither Luna Belle nor Joe has made a start since the last poll… Divine Huntress caught voters’ eye with a runner-up finish in the G1 Acorn, albeit beaten six lengths in a four-horse field… Neither she nor Mama G’s Wish nor Determined Kingdom were even on the radar last month… Mama G’s Wish won the Lewes Stakes at Delaware Park, while Determined Kingdom scored in the Punch Line at Colonial Downs. Both races were state-restricted… It was a three-way tie for fourth, with last month’s third place horse, Morning Matcha, also there… Twisted Ride and Bazinga C were both among the top five last month but dropped off…
- Charles Town: Zimny bullish as he leaves the trackAs he completes his final week on the job, Charles Town racing head Erich Zimny discusses everything from worst day on the job to best accomplishment.
States and sex Four of the top six, including ties, were bred in Maryland. The other two were bred in Pennsylvania and Virginia. Four are fillies and two are males…
TOP OLDER MIDLANTIC-BREDS
- Just One Time (PA), 4F by Not this Time-Ida Clark, by Speightstown; bred by Warrior’s Reward LLC and trained by Brad Cox for Warrior’s Reward LLC and Commonwealth New Era Racing. 2022 highlights: Won G1 Madison S., G2 Inside Information S., 3rd G1 Derby City Distaff. Previous poll: 1
- Field Pass (MD), 4C by Lemon Drop Kid-Only Me, by Runaway Groom; bred by Mark Brown Grier and trained by Michael Maker for Three Diamonds Farm. 2022 highlights: Won Texas Turf Classic, 3rd G3 Arlington S. Previous poll: NA
- Aloha West (MD), 4C by Hard Spun-Island Bound, by Speightstown; bred by Robert Manfuso and Katharine Voss and trained by Wayne Catalano for Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners. 2022 highlights: Won Kelly’s Landing Overnight S., 3rd G1 Churchill Downs S. Previous poll: Also receiving votes
- Cordmaker (MD), 7G by Curlin-Tanca, by Polish Numbers; bred by Robert Manfuso and Katharine Voss and trained by Rodney Jenkins for Hillwood Stables LLC. 2022 highlights: Won G3 General George, Jennings S. Previous poll: 2
- Knicks Go (MD), 6H by Paynter-Kosmo’s Buddy, by Outflanker; bred by Angie Moore and trained by Brad Cox for Korea Racing Authority. 2022 highlights: 2nd G1 Pegasus World Cup. Previous poll: 3
- Chub Wagon (PA), 4F by Hey Chub-Takin the Plunge, by Lion Heart; bred by Joe-Dan Farm and George Chestnut and trained by Guadalupe Preciado for Daniel Lopez and George Chestnut. 2022 highlights: Won Power by Far S., Alma North S. Previous poll: NA
Note: Knicks Go, Chub Wagon tied for fifth.
Also receiving votes: Jaxon Traveler, Caravel, Chambeau, Fortheluvofbourbon, Largent, Whereshetoldmetogo, Beren, B Determined, Repo Rocks, Nick Papagiorgio
NOTES Just One Time has been idle since May 7 but was on the work tab earlier in July… Field Pass, third in the G3 Arlinton Classic June 4, returned to win the Texas Turf Classic last out, while Aloha West also earned his first win of the season, in the Kelly’s Landing Overnight Stakes July 2 at Churchill Downs… Chub Wagon reemerged with a splash, winning a pair of stakes, most recently the Alma North at Laurel Park, to kick off her season… Chub Wagon and the now-retired Knicks Go tied for the final spot in the poll… Jaxon Traveler and Kiss the Girl fell from the top five…
States and sex Four of the top six, including ties, were bred in Maryland. The other two were bred in Pennsylvania. Four are males, and two are females.
Overall, the 12 horses, including ties, are evenly split, with six females and six males. The two top horses are both female. Eight were bred in Maryland, with three bred in Pennsylvania and one in Virginia. Four of the 12 horses are the produce of stallions standing in the Mid-Atlantic
The monthly Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred is the only publication devoted to Thoroughbred breeding and racing in the Mid-Atlantic region. The Racing Biz, an online publication, is the independent voice for mid-Atlantic racing and breeding.
The poll is conducted of media members and others involved in the Thoroughbred industry and restricted to horses that have run in 2022 and were bred in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, New Jersey, Delaware, and the Carolinas.
- Trevor McCarthy hoping for progress at racing “Super Bowl”Trevor and Katie (Davis) McCarthy, longtime Mid-Atlantic stalwarts, are focused on growing new roots, in New York, as Trevor rides his first Saratoga meet.
Participating Voters: Ted Black (freelance writer), Michael Campbell (Thoroughbred Breeders’ Association of New Jersey), Joe Clancy (Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred), Cindy Deubler (Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred), Linda Dougherty (freelance), Debbie Easter (Virginia Thoroughbred Association), Paul Espinosa (Charles Town Races), Rich Glazier (Delaware Park), Cricket Goodall (Maryland Horse Breeders Association), Jim Hague (freelance), Nick Hahn (freelance), Carol Holden (West Virginia Breeders Classics), Tom LaMarra (Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association), Jeff Nations (freelance), Vinnie Perrone (freelance), Frank Petramalo (Virginia Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association), John Piassek (freelance), Gary Quill (The Racing Biz), David Richardson (Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association), Brian Sanfratello (Pennsylvania Horse Breeders Association), Chris Sobocinski (Delaware Park), Dan Tordjman (freelance), Frank Vespe (The Racing Biz), Bill Watson (freelance), Lydia Williams (freelance), Bobby Zen (freelance).