Alapocas Run Stakes snippets
The undercard features the $100,000 Alapocas Run Stakes, a six-furlong sprint for three-year-olds and up, and the Christiana Stakes, a 1 1/16-mile turf test for three-year-old fillies.
Some Alapocas Run snippets:
- Laurel Park picks and ponderings: December 4, 2022We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
- It’s a terrific group of nine, including two graded stakes winners and a couple of others who have placed in graded events.
- Win machine: Greeley and Ben, a recent $62,500 claim for Bella Blue Racing Stable and trainer Bonnie Lucas, mostly hasn’t seen this type of company, but he sure does like to win. The eight-year-old has 20 wins from 33 career starts with earnings of nearly $700,000.
- Delaware lover: Seven-year-old Whereshetoldmetogo has raced seven times at Delaware Park, compiling five wins and two runner-up finishes. He is the defending champ in this event.
- Off the bench: Speaking of Whereshetoldmetogo, the last five times he’s come off a layoff, as he’s doing here, he won first time out.
- Formful: Drafted, the 2-1 morning line favorite, has won three of four, including two Grade 3 events. His lone defeat in that time is pretty forgivable: he finished fifth behind some top runners in the Grade 1 Carter April 9.
- Youth served? Trainer Cal Lynch has a pair in here in three-year-old Defend and four-year-old No Cents. The former has won three of four, including his last off a seven-month layoff. All three of his wins have come at Delaware Park. The latter, a two-time stakes winner as a juvenile in 2020, returned May 15 from 17-month break to run second in a Jersey-bred stake at Monmouth.
- Hopeful: The other graded winner in the Alapocas Run is Hopeful Treasure. The Michael Catalano trainee won the Grade 3 Fall Highweight three races back in an 18-1 upset.but has been third and fourth in two subsequent starts.