Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks September 6
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 3 – Grade II Bernard Baruch Handicap
1. #3 L’Imperator (5-2) – Hard to bet against leading trainer Chad Brown on the turf, especially in a field where others have struggled to win on the surface
2. #5 Dreams of Tomorrow (7-2) – This colt had a tough job closing into a slow pace last time in the Lure, so with a little more pace here, he could be dangerous
3. #1 Tell Your Daddy (5-2) – Was second all the way around in the Lure, but being aggressive here and challenging for the early lead could be a good strategy if the pace stays slow
Race 10 – Grade I Hopeful
1. #6 Wit (7-5) – This colt by Practical Joke has been strong in his first two tries, coming off a win in the Grade II Sanford by eight lengths so will be difficult to handle here
2. #8 High Oak (5-2) – Impressive last time in the Grade II Saratoga Special, and will hope for the right set up to challenge Wit in the stretch
3. #1 Volcanic (30-1) – This longshot has made some good closing moves in his first two tries, but will need Gunite to be challenged early and should like added distance here
Race 11 – Alw 103000n1x
1. #6 Cold Hard Cash (5-1) – Has good speed figures and has shown improvement since switching to the turf, plus won his only try at a mile
2. #7 La Hara (7-2) – This Chad Brown trainee has had difficulty winning, but has been bet to favorite in three straight and is a consistent runner who should have a chance
3. #12 Klickitat (6-1) – King Cause has more upside and is worth a play off a year-long layoff, but this gelding is in better form now and should be in the mix despite a tough post
Race 12 – MC 40000
1. #10 Orma (8-1) – Keeps Luis Saez and took a step forward last time, so should keep improving with a third try at this distance
2. #6 New York Supreme (7-2) – Ran one of the better efforts of this field last time, with two strong races at Saratoga this meet and looking for a breakthrough win
3. #4 Stella Mars (9-2) – Has finished second two races in a row, clearly running her best at short turf sprints
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents another midweek card!
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.