Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks September 5
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 10 – OC 80000n2x
1. #3 Danny California (6-1) – A consistent runner who has run best at the Spa, this gelding by Afleet Alex should improve dropping from the Evan Shipman Stakes
2. #8 First Constitution (5-1) – Runs in North America for the first time, and as a winner of three of four lifetime, this colt has shown that distance shouldn’t be an issue
3. #9 Superfecto (4-1) – Has struggled holding onto leads, but if this colt can avoid pressure from others and get modest fractions, this could be the spot where he finally hangs on
Race 11 – Grade I Spinaway Stakes
1. #3 Echo Zulu (8-5) – Not a lock here and might be bad value, but hard to bet against this combo at seven furlongs, and this filly by Gun Runner has plenty of upside
2. #7 Dream Lith (6-1) – The only one to win past six furlongs which is a plus for these younger fillies, and might be in the right stalking position to take advantage of leaders here
3. #5 Pretty Birdie (3-1) – Will be much harder to wire this field than in the Schuylerville, but keeps Saez and has been working well leading into this try
Race 12 – Alw 90000n1x
1. #6 King Angelo (7-2) – Evenly matched field here, but Saez has had a great meet with front running scores, and gets a good post here with this colt by Lemon Drop Kid
2. #7 Neuro (6-1) – Made a nice closing move last time out and improved after switching to this distance, plus may get a bit more pace to close into here
3. #1 Veterans Beach (4-1) – This gelding has improved after switching over to the barn of Clement, and could benefit from a bit less distance after hanging in the stretch last time
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents another midweek card!
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.