Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks August 29
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – OC 80000n2x
1. #2 Beau Liam (4-5) – Santana and Asmussen clearly know how to get sprinters home, and this likely favorite could be more of the same if he gets a reasonable pace here
2. #4 Night Time (7-2) – Could be in the right spot off of Beau Liam early, and ran a strong race last time despite getting beat at the wire
3. #6 Yodel E. A. Who (15-1) – This gelding can be a bit inconsistent at times, but performs well at this distance with four wins in eight tries
Race 9 – Better Talk Now Stakes
1. #6 In Effect (6-1) – Back to back good efforts at long prices, this colt drops from the grade II Hall of Fame and should run well here
2. #8 Sifting Sands (3-1) – Straw Into Gold has been solid recently, but this Chad Brown trainee looks to be improving here at the right time
3. #2 Dr Jack (9-2) – Switches from dirt to turf after being overmatched in the Jim Dandy, and if this colt takes to the surface, he could be dangerous here
Race 10 – Alw 50000s
1. #6 Chulainn (8-1) – Should get a good price on this Motion trainee who keeps Rosario and has made good closing moves in his las two tries in this company
2. #11 Lord Flintshire (12-1) – Picked up nearly sixteen lengths in a close loss last time, and actually seemed to improve despite the step up in class so worth a play here
3. #8 Made My Day (6-1) – Landbiscuit and Molino both can be played here, but this five year old has been in the mix recently and is due for a breakthrough
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents another midweek card!
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Pimlico.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.