Spa selections 2021: Saratoga picks August 12
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 3 – Saratoga Dew Handicap
1. #5 Mrs. Orb (6-5) – Gets the edge as the only one who has a win at the distance and has proven that she can go this far
2. #2 Simply Ravishing (7-2) – This filly has plenty of class and was a grade I winner as a two year old in October, and the class drop could be enough for improvement here
3. #4 Expresso Shot (5-2) – Is familiar with this class, but will need the exact right set up to not get caught up with the pace early and is still unlikely to win
Race 8 – OC 80000n2x
1. #3 Briefcase Bully (4-1) – Two wins and one second in his three career tries on dirt, and gets Luis Saez who has a strong winning percentage with DeVaux
2. #4 Letmeno (7-2) – A potential wire to wire threat if he breaks well, this grey colt should prefer this one turn distance over some longer efforts from late last year
3. #2 Mihos (2-1) – Will need some pace to close into with Rosario in the irons, and has struggled to win recently but second race with Brad Cox is a plus
Race 9 – Alw 90000n1x
1. #1 Uncle’s Gem (2-1) – Broke her maiden earlier in the meet, but will be difficult to wire this field although there is still room for improvement in just her third start
2. #10 Snicket (4-1) – Six second place finishes in seven career tries on turf, this filly by Lemon Drop Kid can win here, but will need some pace even with added blinkers
3. #2 Athena Dancer (8-1) – Comes off a long layoff from December where she was beaten by over thirty lengths, but switches back to turf where she won as a two year old
We’ve got Charles Town picks and preview today as the track presents its Friday card!
Which Laurel Park jockeys are off to hot starts? Asking for a friend; no, wait, actually asking for the betting public. Answers within…
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.